1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

david aldridge joins the scoop/simmons/whitlock party

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by maberger, Mar 4, 2007.

1. maberger

maberger Member

from today's philly inky:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/16827570.htm

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great, the clash of egos just gets bigger and bigger

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

But I don't know - and neither do any of the writers and bloggers - if a group of young black man approaching in cornrows and baggy jeans are thieves or pre-med students at Penn.

To assume either possibility is to be prejudiced. Period.

A young black man gets on the train wearing baggy pants, a hoodie and bumping his head to tunes in his Ipod.

The people on the train become uncomfortable.

The young black man pulls out his math book turns off his hoodie and proceeds to study. The people on the train are relaxed and perplexed.

Why you let his outside; become your inside fear?

RACISM!

4. David Aldridge reports the existence of hookers in Las Vegas. More on this story as it develops.

5. Zeemer

Zeemer Member

Does it trouble anyone else that Mr. Aldridge has a fulltime job working NBA broadcasts and then uses his Inquirer column to defend the image of the league his TV gig relies upon? Just wondering.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

MLK pukes on you, in spirit, of course.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Excellent point. Plus, I like Aldridge mentioning Mardi Gras (a mostly white event).

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I want the NBA to pull the plug on the All-Star Game just so we don't have to read these columns anymore.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

They don't call him D.A. for nothing, but that was a very well-written and well-presented column.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Yes, Twoback, I agree. It was the best of the "Big 3," if you will.

11. Apologism in its truest sense.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Nah, that doesn't bother me. I don't think he's sitting down at his computer thinking to himself, "If I don't make the league look better people are going to stop watching and if they stop watching I'm going to lose my job. I better defend the NBA or I'm going to be in the unemployment line."

Seems to me he just felt some of the commentary about the weekend was overblown compared to his experience and he wanted to relate that to the readers. I have no problem with this.

I know a lot of people on here make fun of him (largely because of the WWL's casual use of the phrases "David Aldridge reports ..." and "David Aldridge confirms ...") but he's a helluva good reporter.

Draft saved Draft deleted