1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Morgan to USA Today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 2, 2011.

1. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Just curious -- are any of the people praising Morgan in this thread or other threads on this board ... women?

I don't mean to sound like someone in an old AOL chat room. Believe me, I'm asking for very different reasons.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yahoo's sports columnists are remarkably white and male. Marc J. Spears (NBA) is black. I don't believe they have any female columnists.

I'm thinking that's probably not what you're getting at, though.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

My thoughts, too.

Geddymurphy, you should probably clarify a little bit why you're asking. As it is, your question could be innocuous, or it could be sinister-sounding, particularly given that we don't seem to have any real explanation for why he left Yahoo!

4. I know a lot of guys over in that Yahoo shop, and they have never really said why Morgan left (they actually framed it more as him being pushed out). From what I heard it was some internal politics outside of sports. Clashing personalities and ideologies about how to manage. Clearly not a great decision, because I know there was a ton of loyalty for him on the writing staff. The guys I know swear by him.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He wasn't running Yahoo! sports when he left. But know the CEO at the time of his departure has since been fired -- by phone, too.

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I see that USA Today Sports just bought an MMA website. Obviously another part of ramping things up...

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's always nice to think Gannett will turn things around - but they have a habit of making splashy announcements and not following through, or at best arriving three days late to the party.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

SBJ article on USA Today beefing up sports:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/10/31/Media/USA-Today.aspx

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Not sure if it's related or not, but USA Today is looking for a copy editor: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/86971/

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

YOU'RE HIRED!

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

Can't wait until Morgan meets Gannett's diversity mandates in hiring. If the company even cares anymore.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I bet they have backed off those concerns .......

Draft saved Draft deleted