1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Hyde pulls this column on Bin Laden together very nicely

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, May 3, 2011.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

It was easy to get caught up in the moment of last night's news that Osama Bin Laden had been killed, as so many did in front of the White House, at Ground Zero and at college campuses across the country. But this column by the Sun-Sentinel's Dave Hyde definitely put things in perspective:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/fl-hyde-osama-0503-20110502,0,4544898.column

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Is it about everything Osama bin Laden missed in sports while hanging out in his Internet-and-phone-free compound for six years?

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"Congratulations, Osama. You left the yard."

In all seriousness, I really liked Hyde's piece.

4. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I liked this piece because it didn't get preachy and try to tell us how we are supposed to act. I've hated the letters and columns that slam college kids and people outside the White House for celebrating. This one struck an excellent tone, I thought. We can be happy that we finally got him, but, in the end, nothing really changed about 9/11.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Terrific.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Really well done. Thanks for the link.

7. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

8. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Dave's been on a bit of a roll this week. Unfortunately, the topics he has dealt with happen to be sad ones. His column from the funeral for former Dolphins tight end and broadcaster Jim Mandich was very touching as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted