1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Anderson retiring

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gingerbread, Sep 15, 2007.

1. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

I went to a talk on the Brooklyn Dodgers that he was part of and it was interesting to learn he was the last person to leave Ebbets Field.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I am sad, because I wish I could've met him during my time in this business.

C'est la vie.

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

best anecdote ever on this board.

dave is truly a class act -and a good golfer.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

an honor to be able to tell my children that dave has been a long-time friend. his sage advice to me as a young jets beat writer: "when i covered the team, li earned quickly: 'when in doubt, write namath.'''

what a perfect way to convey that some figures can't be wriiten about too often.

what a gentleman. i've done my best to learn from dave to never big-time a young writer who's eager to listen. i hope i've lived up to his example.

hit 'em straight, dave. ;D ;D ;D

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Didn't have a ton of experience with Mr. Anderson, but there is one story I remember well:

During one of the New Jersey Devils' Stanley Cup runs, he showed up at Continental Airlines Arena for a practice. I knew him by name and reputation, but not at all personally. When he walked in, it was as if royalty had arrived. Everybody was respectful. All called him "Mr. Anderson." But he was totally unaffected by it.

I just watched him as he chatted with people. There was absolutely no pretension to the guy whatsoever. It was very impressive to watch.

Unfortunately, his practice ended when he slipped and fell. (Anyone who ever covered hockey there knows how treacherous it was by the zamboni entrance to the ice.) Mr. Anderson cut the back of his head. Joe Lapointe and Jason Diamos -- who were also there for the Times -- freaked, and so did everyone else. Thankfully, he was more embarrassed than injured, although Lapointe went with him to the hospital.

They almost forgot his bag, until I noticed it nearby and handed it over. But the most amazing thing about it was that as he was bleeding and about to go into the ambulance, Mr. Anderson made a point of saying goodbye to a few people who had gone out of their way to say hello to him earlier.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I never met Dave Anderson, but I trust the people I know on this board who have said good things, and I've never heard a bad thing about him.

I will say the column linked in the link gingerbread posted, about Steinbrenner firing Dick Howser, is one of my favorite columns. Tells the story through the environment. Excellent.

7. spwritenj

spwritenj New Member

i'd like to add another story:

i was staying with dave at the british open a few years ago. the house was about a mile from the course in troon, maybe a mile and a half. dave had finished his column for the day and leans over the desk.

"i'm leaving now, do you need a ride back to the house?" he asked.

"thanks, dave, but i still have to finish my notebook," i said. "i'll meet you back there later tonight."

about 10 minutes later, there was a tap on my shoulder.

"i went and got the car from the lot," he said. "it's parked out front. let me know when you're ready to go."

can you imagine? i had a pulitzer-winning chauffer. i think about that all the time. he gave daily lessons in how to write a column and, more importantly, how to treat other people.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I saw him talk to a large group once and he did not duck tough questions, even about his newspaper. He took the high road, but he did not work around the questions to avoid saying anything. If there was an intelligent query, he was going to respect the person by giving an honest and thought-out response.

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Pure class and very humble. He will be sorely missed.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Great, effin' story, JG.

And I can echo in stereo what's been written here. Dave Anderson is not only class to writers, he's class personified to flacks.

Last month, he and I were in the same security line in the Tulsa airport, both trying to catch an early flight out of Dodge after the PGA. In the serpentine line, we kept passing each other and every time, Dave had something to say or a question to ask me.

Considering I'd see him maybe once a year, he'd always ask where I was going next and how much traveling I was doing in a given year.

He will be missed. In more ways than one.

Draft saved Draft deleted