1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daunte Culpepper retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

He's with the Steelers, backing up Big Ben. The Steelers looked at him and Culpepper when Charlie Batch got hurt and went with Leftwich. Dennis Dixon -- the rookie from Oregon -- is third string.

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I don't have a story that I did on Daunte when he was in college anymore, but yes, I think he was born in prison and his grandma raised him... but I'm not even sure if she was actually blood related to him, but he called her grandma....i don't know, that's been a long time since i talked to him about it.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'll take the over. A lot of serviceable QBs are working the loading docks these days.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

This one is simple. Daunte, get an agent, and you'll get hired.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He didn't pass his SAT/ACT tests until the last series of his senior year. Until then, UCF was the only one willing to take a chance on him.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I get the sense Culpepper was better with the media than he was with his coaches/teammates.

I know there are a lot of players on that Vikings team who still blame him for the whole Lake Minnetonka mess, since Culpepper was the only player who was recognized initially.

7. Mizzougrad96

I also think he'll be in a NFL uniform as soon as a team gets desperate enough, which should be Week 4 or so.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't think it's going to be that long. While I think he was sincere about retiring, I also think he wanted to keep his name out there too. A retirement story does that. Besides, if he was truly going to retire, I think he would've signed the papers saying so. To my knowledge, that hasn't been done.

9. Mizzougrad96

Based on the NFL's rules, there are very few positives to filing the retirement paperwork, although that didn't prevent Ricky Williams from doing it a few years back.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Doubt it. He's had chances this summer to backup others on NFL rosters, and he says he retired because he wanted the chance to start. I don't see any team just handing over the starting quarterback job to a guy who hasn't suited up since December.

11. Mizzougrad96

I should have rephrased... If he hires an agent, he'll have a job by Week 4 or so.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If he swallows his pride and is willing to accept a backup role, which he wanted no part of during the preseason.

Draft saved Draft deleted