1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daunte Culpepper retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

That's interesting, if true. He was a really nice guy when I dealt with him once. I was writing about a high school kid he basically mentored, and I called him at home. He was making dinner for his wife and dealing with a fussy kid, and asked if he could call me back. I thought I'd never hear from him again. An hour later, he called back the paper's main number, got transferred to the wrong phone, left a message that I didn't get. He called back again, then gave me all the time I needed to talk about this kid he'd basically adopted after both this kid's parents were killed. This was at the height of Culpepper's fame.

So if he was a dick to his teammates -- and I'm not saying he wasn't -- it didn't transfer outside the locker room.

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

So long, flabby arm dance guy! :D

Seriously, he was never the same after wrecking his knee against Carolina.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

You'll have to trust me on this, but I thought forcing his way out of Minnesota and acting as his own agent was career suicide back then. About the dumbest thing anyone could have done in his position.

O/U on when he starts sending out feelers to return: Oct. 15.

4. joe

joe Active Member

I'd give Herm Edwards' left nut for Culpepper to play for Kansas City. I mean, Brodie Croyle, really?

I'm still open to suggestions for another team for which to cheer this season. I live and die with the Chiefs, but I'd like somebody interesting to root for.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

pursuing 0-16 is interesting in its own way, you know.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I was going to post a crack about him having more time for boat trips, but after your story I feel lousy for having thought it.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't even know who you are anymore.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

You are aware I'm the one who started the original thread about that fight, right?

Of course you knew that.

9. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

While we're talking about unemployed QB's, why isn't Byron Leftwich with a team?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's a shame because he should be, but am guessing it's that stigma of lack of mobility

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I still deal with him a bit and he's always been a class guy and very generous with his time. I don't think he'll be returning, he wants to do some other things and try to get involved with the camps, etc. in Florida. His cousin, who is a dead ringer for him, is an up-and-coming prep coach in the state.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I like him even more if he worships his grandma. I am the same way, my grandma is the best. It's cool to hear the story that he called someone back, I couldn't even get a prep coach to return a phone call and I left my office and cell number.

Draft saved Draft deleted