1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daulerio says in Hogan trial he draws line at posting sex tape of 4 year old

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm not paying close attention, but if the judge doesn't reduce the award, the cost of posting the bond for the appeal could bankrupt them.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A world without Gawker/Deadspin/Jezebel is a dream to behold.

wicked likes this.
  3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Don't worry, plenty will fill the void.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Boo fucking hoo.

Their lawyers apparently aren't worth shit, because the first thing they should've told Daulerio before his deposition is to not be a total douche.

Ace likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

True or false? Seriously?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yeah, because when a "media outlet" displays absolute malice and negligence, we're supposed to feel sorry for them.

Lugnuts and LongTimeListener like this.
  9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Mnookin acting like he doesn't have skin in the game here is bullshit. He's absolutely part of the sneering hipster Brooklyn literati. He is social friends with a lot of that crew, and he is pretending to be a neutral party here. I find the 1st Amendment ramifications angle here to be fairly overstated, and a lot more about "Oh noes, a lot of my vindictive and smart ass friends are facing a job market they've spent years lobbing molotav cocktails toward."

Ask yourself this: What would Gawker's reaction be, tonight, if ESPN was slapped with a $115 million judgment? Total unrestrained glee, right? A lot of good journalists would probably lose their jobs if ESPN had to lose $115 million from its budget, and Gawker wouldn't give a shit about that. They'd be doing a conga line all around Williamsburg.

Frankly, considering the business Gawker was in — relentlessly picking fights with other journalists while pretending it's not part of the establishment — I think the reaction has been pretty restrained.

cranberry, Lugnuts, Alma and 10 others like this.
  10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I don't see first amendment issues here.......equating an illegally obtained sex tape with non-obscene, newsworthy leaks is a bigger stretch than what Hulkster said about his schlong vs Terry Bollea's.

11. No tweets from Gawker since the verdict.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the "LOL @ Gawker" crowd. Stinks that a bunch of people might lose jobs, but....eh.

Draft saved Draft deleted