1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dating...ugh

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Aug 23, 2009.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Arnold also requests that you kids get off his lawn. :)

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

fixed

sorry, just couldn't leave that pitch just floating over the plate.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Remember that earlier thing, where I didn't remember calling you an idiot?

I'll remember it this time. Idiot.

:D

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Pfft, I'm in your shoes as well. Single, 23, at my first job where I moved to town and literally only knew the people I had met at my interview. I work so much between August and May that I don't really have any sort of semblance of a social life, I don't get off work early enough at any point in the year to go out much on the "social scene" and I don't know where to meet guys around here. Everyone I work with is either married or has a child or both and I literally know no one that is single.

Sometimes, though, you just have to decide whether a relationship and marriage and all that junk is worth waiting for until you get your career (and yourself) in a better place in your life. I'm perfectly okay with giving up my social life for the first few years for the same reason as you - I don't really see a reason to get into something serious with someone around here, when I know I'm going to move away when something better comes along - so I don't seek it. If someone around here wants to try to make it happen, he'll come find me. Until then, my cat and my friends that I do have provide enough comfort for me to be happy.

If you want to put a relationship ahead of your professional life, then you should move and DEFINITELY get out of journalism, because you aren't going to have much time outside of your professional life for your relationships. But if you love your job and you know this is what you want to do for the rest of your life, you can be patient and know that when you do find someone, it'll probably be worth it.

And I've only had one serious relationship in my life, which flamed out spectacularly. So don't worry about the fact that you haven't had a serious relationship.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

no! no! no! it was asshole, not idiot!

6. pffft

pffft Member

As bad as it sounds, I find some relief knowing there are others in similar situations. Freudenschade I suppose.

I live a few hours from my hometown and a few hours from where quite a few of my friends live, so I am almost always at either of those places on weekends I don't have to work. This summer, I literally was not in town for a weekend for all of June and July (some by choice, some not) so that makes it a little more difficult to meet people I suppose.

The two best friends I had in this town, who were in similar situations as me, both moved away because they flat out didn't like living here. That kinda sucked. Them, along with my other closest friends, happen to be girls because I just think it would be weird for a straight guy like myself to meet another dude and ask if he wants to hang out. It just seems much easier for me to call a girl, as opposed to a guy I really don't know that well, out of the blue and ask if they want to hang out or go get some drinks.

Wenders, I understand your point about being patient and focusing on my career, but at the same time I think that I have 40+ years to work and only a finite amount of time to run around and have fun. Not that you can't have fun when you're older, but it just seems to be a little different than the type of stuff you can get away with in your mid-20's. Maybe I'm wrong.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Don't lose sight of that. I'm sure many people have gone sort of work-a-holic-like (I know I have at times) only to later find it doesn't pan out for you in the ways you thought it might. While it's good to be loyal to your boss and your company, remember only a really great boss has any loyalty to you, and odds are your company doesn't give two shits about you. That puts it upon you to show yourself a little loyalty and have some fun, whether it's taking a trip here and there or finding someone you can have a little romp in the sack with. Don't lose sight of the fact that you're more than just a journalist.

8. imjustagirl

I don't want a vacation from this place.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

schadenfreude

10. pffft

pffft Member

Yeah, I'll just stick to English.

11. imjustagirl

That made me laugh.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I thought you were typing that word in Spanish.

Draft saved Draft deleted