1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dating someone older than your mother

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, Dec 9, 2008.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

So I haven't posted on here in a while, but I wanted to get the opinions from some of the SportsJournalists.com crowd on this one.

I lost my job on Wednesday, which sucks, but one of the good parts, at least, there's gotta be SOMETHING positive, is that I have some free time that I haven't had since I've started working.

Anyway to cut to the chase,
    Last week I met this woman and she's 40. I'm 26.
    Which, at first glance I was like, whoa there, that's nuts, but the more we've been talking the more we've had in common, it seems, and it's safe to say she's a hot MILF.
    We had some fun last weekend and she invited me over this Friday again.

Today, strangely enough, I met her ex-husband at her house with some of her friends over coffee. He seems like an all right guy but like after everyone left he came back when the two of us were just there...and it was awkward! She said he was disappointed that she didn't want to go out with him.

Anyone ever had success with dating someone with that many years on you?
    I remember there's been a thread on this a while back, but I couldn't find it off hand.

This is new to me, but so far it's been a blast.
    It still feels a little odd, but thats only when I ignore all her personal traits and look just at her age.
    She's a young 40 year old if there ever was one, I think.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Dating someone nearly twice your age

If you like her, why worry about her age? It's hard enough to find decent people in your neck of the woods without ruling out everybody over the age 25.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The one thing I'd be concerned about is how much you're going to have in common with someone who's significantly older than you are. On the basic level, you each are likely going to have different cultural references. You might have grown up listening to Linkin Park. She might have grown up listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

On the more serious level, people in different generations have different priorities. Perhaps a 20-something may still be in the college mindset or just starting to get out of it. Meanwhile, a 40-year-old is likely to have left that mindset behind a long time ago. And if the 40-year-old has children, if the two of you were to get married (not saying that's even in the cards), you're suddenly going to have to add the responsibility for being a stepfather.

In terms of simply meeting up for drinks or fun, there's no harm in dating someone much older -- or younger. But if you're talking about a long term relationship, there are concerns the two of you are going to have to address.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

it'll only be awkward if you let it be awkward.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey SC...the subject is dating someone nearly TWICE your age, not dating someone nearly HALF your age. :D :D :D :D [/dead to you!]

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

That's why I've been excited to get to know her, she's awesome.
    I just had in the back of my head a few days ago, "well, what would mom and dad think?"
    But you know I don't really care that much.

7. lono

lono Active Member

One of the best summers of my life was playing boy toy to a college professor. ;D

She was great, a 38-year-old English prof. I was 24, unemployed and reasonably buff.

We both knew what it was, both knew it was temporary and both enjoyed the hell out of it. Happy memories.

8. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

it's tough for me but only because i like the perkiness of 20-something boobies.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

So's your face.

;)

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

40 is not nearly double 26, for the record.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Die fucker die!!!!!!! :p

12. lono

lono Active Member

Dood!

Older women rule. They kick you out of bed afterwards and tell you to go home. It's fan-freakin'-tastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted