1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Datelines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Apr 10, 2010.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

This is a separate issue from my original question, but my thought has always been that it's OK to use a dateline on a story if the writer wasn't there, as long as there isn't a byline AND a dateline.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

BB Bocat, that's the general rule of thumb. You can use "Special to the Bugle" with the dateline. At least my old paper did.

The NY Times stylebook goes on for a couple of grafs on the how and why of datelines. However, I never see a date in datelines any more. Maybe they should be called placelines.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Bingo.

4. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I am publicity co-chair for a local organization when I am not writing freelance. Our press releases have calendar dates in the dateline: BLOOMINGTON -- April 13, 2010 -- <Start of story>.

PR pieces are the only writing on which I see actual dates in the datelines in this day and age.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's what we do, too. It's easier than saying Podunk defeated Shitsville at Podunk on Tuesday night. easier just to do: PODUNK -- The Podunk Porcupines defeated the Shitsville Fighting Terds.......

Draft saved Draft deleted