1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dateline report

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is anyone watching USA right now for this Dateline investigative report on online predators? Man, this is brutal.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Note to self: Cancel Saturday night date with 13 year old living 1,500 miles away......

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And what's the commercial right now? K-Y massage oil. Laugh fucking riot.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

I love the clip I just saw where Hansen is interrogating a kid who looks like just like Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite.

Chris Hansen: It's against the law!
    Pedro: Oh. (He said with all of the inflection of a man discovering that today is Columbus Day, so that's why there was no mail)

5. PopeDirkBenedict

Here is my question: Are there grown men out there who actually successfully hook up with 13 year olds over the internet? If I were so perverted to want to hook up with random preteens, I would be incredibly paranoid that I was really talking to a 37-year old detective from Hoboken -- are there success stories that these predators can point to and say that not all of their targets are either a detective, FBI agent or Chris Hansen?

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

There have been so many of these shows over the last few years you're an even bigger moron than just being a typical pedophile if you actually think the 13-year-old girl or boy you're chatting online with is exactly that.

These guys deserve exactly what they're getting, and more.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

Norm,

I can see where some of these guys are dim bulbs who never thought it through. But a doctor? It just boggles my mind.....

And these guys will get some naughty loving behind bars, boots-style. And they'll deserve it.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Law & Order tonight was an episode based on these Dateline shows, called by another name, of course. Basically called them exploitative crap, which was interesting considering they're both NBC shows.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The show sucked. I really, really thought it sucked.

It didn't try and explain why they did what they did, where they broke from regular society ... it didn't talk about any of the laws about that kind of stuff ... they just arrested people. Everyone. They were arresting people so fast they almost had people walk into the same backyard at the same time looking for a 13-year old girl or boy. At some point I just kept thinking "Ok, I know people are fucked up and sick and will show up, now what?" But it was the exact same thing for two hours.

I couldn't believe what all they showed and what all they didn't show. Basically they were like:
    "This guy walking up the driveway is a pervert. See? Look, he's walking into the backyard because he saw this 13-year-old-ish girl calling him in.

Oh, look, our reporter is out talking to him and he doesn't know its a reporter, so he can't leave.

He says he's sorry and he didn't come to screw, but look what he wrote on the internet 'Oh baby, lets do it.' Clearly, he wants to do it. Why do you want to do it, sir?

OK, we tell him he can leave, but LOOK THERE ARE cops on the way out!!!'

And repeat. And repeat. And repeat. And repeat. And repeat. Every single time they said "What this pervert doesn't know is that he's about to get arrested." EVERY TIME.

The guys didn't run from the cameras because they didn't know they were on TV until it was way too late. Crap, they even arrested a guy that drove by, stopped, thought about it and left. They even showed the people getting checked into jail ... every single time. They showed them being questioned every single time. And they all had the exact same answers and EVERY SINGLE TIME the announcers acted like that guy was indvidually more screwed up than anyone else ever.

I dont know ... arrest them, send them to jail. They deserve it, but I was surprised how ... stupid and classless the show was. I guess I didn't know what to expect.

I really wanted to see the one where the guy said "Uh ... so where's the chick?"

and I would have paid to see a guy say "Uh .. I'm here for the gang bang?"

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

And yet, like millions of other people, you watched.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'm telling you, a weekly show based on this theme can't be that far off.

I mean, Dateline has already pretty much become that but it does do some other investigative stuff.

NBC, or some other network, should just drop the pretenses, call it what it is and run it each week.

I know I'd watch.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

But Pilot, it's sometimes fun watching these guys try and make all these damn excuses for why the showed up to screw a 13-year old...

I like the shows and try to watch every time one is on.

Draft saved Draft deleted