1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dateline question: Is Stanford a city?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Charlie Brown, May 17, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is no difference between Speedway, Ind., and Elmont, N.Y.
    They are the legitimate datelines for the Indy 500 and the Belmont Stakes.
    Speedway is not a part of the city of INdianapolis and Elmont in not a part of New York City.

2. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Saturday marks the beginning of the countdown to someone suggesting I add a "B" to an Elmont, N.Y. dateline.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

AP has changed on SPEEDWAY and ELMONT in recent years, going with INDIANAPOLIS and NEW YORK.

Then there was the change about 18 months ago to go with FOXBOROUGH, the name it has been for years and years yet was FOXBORO in AP datelines for many years.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

And games from Auburn University's campus be dateline Opelika, Ala.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Not sure what you're trying to say there, but Auburn University is in Auburn, Ala.

6. ogre

ogre Member

I know the point of this thread is come up with a definitive answer, but I would say that the right answer is what your company's style guide says.

For example, when I worked in SoCal, our paper would use WESTWOOD for UCLA events from the campus instead of LOS ANGELES. Out of towners would usually use LA I noticed.

Again, Im not sure what is correct about NOTRE DAME vs. SOUTH BEND or STANFORD vs. PALO ALTO, but I would say the way to go is to look on the address on the press release. That would be the official address.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ogre, that's a good general rule, but it doesn't always hold.

8. ogre

ogre Member

True.

You can always ask a local if you are curious or not sure. This really doesnt help when you're on desk though. So it's up to the writer to get it right, just like the rest of the story.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I'm in the University Park-Notre Dame-Stanford camp. Speedway, too, and am surprised that AP ever got that one right. It's been Indianapolis on AP stories as far back as I remember.
    But be aware that sometimes a place arranges a dateline to make itself seem more posh. A golf course, for instance, suddenly IDing itself as in the cool tourist trap five miles away rather than not-so-cool the town next door, all the better to fool out of town writers. One did this because it made a deal with the tourist trap's chamber of commerce.
    When in doubt, check a map. Still in doubt? Look at a vending machine for the annual license sticker. Or ask a cop what the real jurisdiction is.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is there industry based in University Park, Notre Dame or Stanford other than education?

No.

They are not communities. There is no main drag full of shops and stores in a place called University Park. State College, yes. Not University Park.

Draft saved Draft deleted