1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dateline Afghanistan ... Send in the Marines

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 1, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If you think we're catching OBL, you're crazy. And so we dominate Afghanistan so OBL and his cronies can't congregate there? They'll find someplace else. Why bring back so many body bags for nothing?

Maybe I'm just ignorant. It's entirely possible. But I just don't see the point.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This. Domestic counterterrorism is the only type that works.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

We lost about 37,000 men in that conflict. There was an estimated 2 million civilian deaths in that conflict.

And did we make America -- which I thought was the point of a DEFENSE department - safer as a result of it?

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

There is a long, well-documented history, going back millenia, of foreign superpowers going into Afghanistan and having things go exactly as planned.

Isn't there?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

We should be ok as long as Charley Wilson does not start providing the rebels weapons.

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

that movie was on earlier......I love that flic.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sorry, but Afghanistan goes hand-in-hand in Pakistan's effort to quash the Taliban. Perhaps some of you missed the missive of a few weeks back when some Taliban chieftain voiced their desire to nab some Paki nukes, which he said they would gladly try to use against the U.S.? So, while the Pakistanis are trying to crush them on their soil, we're negating their fallback positions in Afghanistan. Which, of course, wouldn't need to be done had Bush not gone off on his little crusade in Iraq.

This needs to be done.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, because if Obama finishes the job then it makes it even more likely that the Republicans don't win another election in my lifetime.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Except for the fact that the "job" (whatever the hell that is) is never finished because if it were finished and there were no more bogeymen and/or big bad meanie dictators wearing funny little hats to protect us from, well then justifying the ridiculous amount of money we spend on military and defense projects, not too mention our insistence on sticking our noses into everybody's little pissing contest would become a helluva lot tougher.

Like I said, there is too much money and too much political capital involved in building war machines and flag waving for any politician to truly "finish" whatever pointless military excursion we decide to get ourselves into....

10. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

I know Khe Sahn. Helmand it is not, though both grew wonderful dope.

I would note in passing that Gen. Dan K. McNeill was a shavetail grunt leading an infantry platoon in 'Nam. He has served his time in hell.

We shall see if our leaders have learned their lessons from history.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Seems a U.S. servicemember has gone missing there in Afghanistan.

Perhaps its already been discussed on the board, but here's a link to a few-hours-old story.

http://news.aol.com/article/us-soldier-captured-in-afghanistan/553518

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Point of order ... they were our airplanes. Carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted