1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darrell Issa vs. the new York Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Aug 22, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting little dust up. The Times went after Issa pretty good last week:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/us/politics/15issa.html?pagewanted=all

Now, he's hitting back, alleging poor reporting among other things:

Is it odd that the San Diego paper didn't run the original Times article, or is it standard procedure to take a second look at it if it focuses on local people/issues?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There was a time when Issa wanted to investigate every sneeze that emanated from Barack Obama. The New Republic even confidently predicted that he would impeach Obama once he became the head of the oversight committee. Then Lizza's New Yorker piece hit. Issa was the absolute worst choice the GOP could have made for that position, because his past (and apparently present) is so filthy.

That being said, the "multimillion"/"multibillion" dollar mistake is a fairly big one. Far be it for me to take shots at Lichtblau, but when you write a 60-inch piece on a GOP Congressman for a news source with a known liberal slant, at least on the op-ed page, you better have the facts down dead solid cold. When people are only bitching about "tone" and "context," then you've won.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are, apparently, just as insufficient a number of copy editors at the Times as everywhere else.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What about the San Diego paper's decision not to run it?

Smart move, or afraid to piss of a local poll?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think it's more from the "why would we run a competitor's story about our local guy" line of thinking.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The U-T killed Randy Cunningham dead, so I'm not sure they're scared of Issa. Just as likely they're working on their own story about him.

The 'billion/million' thing is only a really big deal if the mistake occurs on first reference. If it's the fifteenth reference in the story in the 27th graf, it isn't anything but a typo.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know it wasn't malicious. But it's a huge distinction and an easy thing to latch onto if you're the subject of the piece. You can't let that one get through the goalie, am I right?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course not.

But it would be an indication how hypersensitive to investigation Issa must be if his people pounce on a late reference to a figure correctly established in the first sentence of the story.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

As a copy editor, I'm biased on this one, but when one letter is wrong in the fifth paragraph, I don't know that you can blast the copy desk for missing it. Small errors will get through unless we return to the days where four or five copy editors read every story before publication. As copy desks dwindle, we need more support from assigning editors and reporters.

With that said, many copy editors would have caught that error. It's also a nice reminder of the importance of copy editing.

10. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

If congressmen and politicians don't care about the difference between millions, billions and trillions of dollars, why should journalists?

11. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

The U-T has been sold to a venture capital firm and gutted since they took down Cunningham. It's not even remotely the same newspaper it was at that time. I don't think an assumption about its current mindset can be made based on pre-sale actions.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. So, lots of possibilities as to why they held the NYT piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted