1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darrell Dickey isn't dead, but he's fired....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BigRed, Nov 9, 2006.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Sorry if this has already been posted, but North Texas might take the cake for coldest firing of the season.
    Darrell Dickey had a heart attack last month, the latest in a series of health problems.
    Now, he's fired after 2 losing seasons.
    Cold, cold, cold.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/110906dnspodickey.1a03deb8.html

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

From the story:

Would that be contract?

I've followed this since we went to the same high school and it's frightening to see the health problems suffered by a guy who is the same age as me. To be honest, I didn't like him much in high school. He was your typical cocky football player. As a player, he had a good arm but wasn't very mobile.

But I hope he gets his health problems resolved and I'm sure he'll find a good job as an assistant.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That is bullshit in the truest sense when I saw the story yesterday.

What's next, Paterno gets demoted to O-line coach after busting his leg last weekend?

There must be some room in hell for the UNT A.D. for this.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dickey's in the same situation Dan McCarney was in. New AD, big capital campaign getting under way, had a bad year.

And much like Jamie Pollard at ISU, the UNT AD is a fucking dick.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's not all of it. Dickey had his gallbladder taken out in February and found out right after that he was diabetic. He showed up at Sun Belt media days 40 pounds lighter and said it was after gaining 20 back. The guy looked like Skeletor.

I'm glad they had extended him, so he'll get paid. He'll get a cushy coordinator gig somewhere in either the B12 or SEC next year and probably make half again what UNT was paying him.

But Villarreal pulled the trigger WAY too fast on this one. If he can do better, more power to him, but good luck with THAT.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I covered the Big West back when UNT was horrible. And I mean so horrible that the horrible team I was covering kicked the ever-livin' shit out of them regularly. As far as I am concerned, Dickey should be sainted there and should have a lifetime contract. I know it was only the New Orleans Bowl and nobody cares, but I would have bet my life against that program ever playing in a bowl game before he came along. BTW, who the fuck is going to take that job? You'd have to be an idiot.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, this could be on the verge of turning into a pretty good job. They're about to break ground, if they haven't already, on a new football building and will also be building a new stadium. It's an easy conference to win and there is plenty of talent right down the road in the DFW area. Had Dickey stuck around he would have owned the Sun Belt.

8. Lester Bangs

I've admittedly lost touch with the area -- when you don't cover a conference, you stop caring -- but does anybody around there really care about UNT? Do they really compete for even the third-tier Texas guys?

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Don't think I'm D_B'ing this, but one of the big boosters is holding the school's feet to the fire.

11. this is what my late grandmother would call "all kinds of trifling." The AD doesn't need to dress warm for where he's going when his time on Earth is up.

12. Lester Bangs

This really shows how pathetic Division I athletics has become. The coach is fired because the school doesn't want to lose one booster's cash. A facility is named after the fired coach because the school doesn't want to lose another booster's cash. Lucky for this AD, none of these guys is requesting blowjobs ...

Draft saved Draft deleted