1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dark Tower fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jan 13, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm just stunned that you found a reason to complain about rumors/trailers for movies or shows we haven't seen yet on multiple threads so quickly. :D

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Roland didn't appear in our world until the Drawing of Three, aboard the plane.

Love the Dark Tower series very, very much, which makes me nervous about the films. But the trailer looks good. And King seems excited about it, which I take as a good sign.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it. You don't need the back story from Wizard and Glass to understand Roland's character in the main story arc of The Dark Tower. It really works quite well as a separate story entirely. If you don't want to watch the TV series, you won't miss out on anything in the movie. And, even if it one does consider it integral to the main story line, the book was written after the source material for this film, so it wouldn't have any impact on this first movie anyway.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I'd like to give the movie a shot.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. bigpern23

Saw the movie last night and enjoyed, though perhaps not as much as I'd hoped I would. Without giving anything away, the film was very different in a lot of ways from the books, but because of the way the books ended, it makes sense within that universe that it would not be a page-for-page version of the story we know.

McConaughey was damn near perfect as The Man in Black and Idris Elba nails The Gunslinger. I sort of thought Scott Eastwood would get cast as Roland - not least because of his lineage, but also he really looks the part as I imagined it - but from the minute I heard of Elba's casting, I thought it was a great example of thinking outside the box and he was really good in the role.

I came away wondering if people who had not read the books would really enjoy it, and my buddy who joined me confirmed what I worried about. He liked it, but he didn't understand some of what was going on. They covered a lot of territory in like 90 minutes, and he was a bit lost on some of it. The movie flew, which is good in some ways, but for a saga as detailed as The Dark Tower, I think it could have used more screen time.

As much as I think Peter Jackson needs a tougher editor for most of his work, he translated the Tolkien books to film remarkably well. I felt this film, and this world, could have used his touch, or at least a similar approach. These movies should not be under 2 hours, and I say that as someone who thinks many movies should be shorter than they are.

I'd give it a solid B, and honestly, if the studio had more faith in the story, they could have made it an A with a running time of 2:10 or even 2:30.

6. Flop.
    This writer is blaming McConaughey. This story is more directed at the string of poor McConaughey films, which are far from "Allright, Allright, Allright."
    And the writer admits most of the poor reviews are from King devotees. Still, not looking good for Dark Tower.

Failure to relaunch: Matthew McConaughey needs another McConaissance

7. bigpern23

Yeah, that wasn't much of a review of the film, but it's scoring 18 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, so it's certainly not looking good. I'm going to be pretty disappointed if they aren't able to finish the trilogy (and it looks like they probably won't).

The material is certainly difficult (maybe impossible) to adapt, but I thought this was a solid attempt at it.

8. bigpern23

Draft saved Draft deleted