1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dark Knight discussions (**SPOILERS!!**)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Jul 19, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I didn't think Michael Caine pulled it off.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I hope Crowe finds his fastball again....

3. Simon_Cowbell

Font d'azure, s'il te plait....

4. Bale, Oldman, Ledger and Caine all covered accents. Not sure if I'm missing anyone.
    Of the four, I only noticed it with Oldman, who is a great actor but seems to struggle doing American.

5. I'm an idiot. No, Caine didn't even attempt to cover it, did he?
    It's late. I'm going to bed.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Caine wasn't hiding his a bit. He was a Brit in the film.

(K)night, DC.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm weird, apparently. One of my favorite parts of the film was Oldman's monologue at the end, where he explains the "Dark Knight" part. I thought that was just awesome. However, I'd agree with everyone who said the climax was the whole Dawes/Dent bomb debacle.

And I don't believe that Rachel is dead. We never saw a body. They never came out and SAID she was dead. We all just assumed.

8. I'll be pissed if she isn't dead. I'm tired of these types of movies pulling that crap. Just let her die and move on.
    And a good (Dark) (K)night to you as well, Simon.

9. Simon_Cowbell

The thing they did with Gordon DID hurt the believability of the Joker and Rachel outcomes.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It's amazing how much of the great acting right now is being done by Brits and Aussies mimicking Americans. You've got Tom Wilkinson sumultaneously playing Ben Franklin and James Baker on HBO. Hugh Laurie doing an American accent so well for so long that when you hear him interviewed you think he's doing a British accent.

And how much more impressive does Ledger's performance become when you stop to think that, oh yeah, on top of it all he is covering his native accent?

11. Simon_Cowbell

I might make a case that he had the greatest career ever that lasted less than a decade.

Brokeback... The Dark Knight... Monster's Ball.... purely bravura caliber.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The thing with Gordon though...we SAW his "body." It was easy to believe he was dead. We only could guess what happened to Rachel (I originally heard that both she and Dent lived so I was...very confused during the movie, needless to say) and obviously, they're going to make the Joker disappear because of what happened to Ledger.

But it definitely makes it harder to believe that either is really dead because they magically brought Gordon back in the middle of the movie when we all saw him dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted