1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Danville (Va.) seeking sports copy editor/page designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DrewWilson, May 30, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good enough.

drew, may i ask how you guys cover the acc? do you actually cover for gamers or do you add color and color only?

2. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Depends on what it is. With football, since there were less games, we spent a bulk of the time writing about our local kids (three starters and one backup at Va. Tech, one starter at U.Va., one starter at Clemson). With basketball, we did gamers and/or sidebars. We covered the ACC basketball tournament (blogs and more feature-related stuff rather than gamers) and did the same for the NCAA tournament. We can usually count on at least one pod being within driving distance in N.C. This year we had two in N.C. and I even followed Carolina to the Final Four (granted that trip was out of my own pocket).

We try to find a local angle if there is one. If not, we try to add some sort of analysis to give the reader something more than a gamer.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid. and what are the odds you can continue with that type of coverage?

4. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

You know as well as I do that there is no definite answer to that question. The biz is changing every day. I'm sure somewhere somebody went to bed tonight with a job and they'll go in tomorrow and be told to collect their things. It's day by day everywhere. All you can do is plan to continue coverage as we have in years past until told otherwise. One good thing for us is that we have an ME who is a big supporter of sports and our coverage.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, i apologize. i shouldn't have painted you into a corner. wasn't my intention.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Drew's done a great job explaining the situation. I was just trying to say that even if they are going to fewer ACC games, there's still a lot more to cover there than your typical small-town high school stuff.

The high school talent there is good enough that they will always have players at major colleges and in the pros to follow. They also seem to have at least one team every year to cover in the state championship games. Since there is a design position, anyone interested should go to newspagedesigner.com and check out pages Drew and ex-Danvillian Jeff Patterson have done. They put together some really cool packages with the area motorsports, the minor-league ball club, etc.

7. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Break it out already. :)

THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

8. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Just giving this a bump in case there are new eyes on the board.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Drew is an attention whore! :D

10. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

I figure it is worth posting that this position has not been filled yet. Although we've done some phone interviews and plan to set up a few more, we haven't brought anyone in yet.

I'd really like to add some more applications to the pool, so if you are interested, there is still time.

We've had a few candidates pull out for one reason or another. I'm not going to put up a smoke screen. This is an entry-level opening and it pays like one. But, as some people on this post have pointed out, this is a solid opportunity for someone straight out of college to come in, get some experience and move on.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

drew, give me a buck more than entry level and i'll toss my hat into the ring.

12. Kick

Kick New Member

How many pages of layout are involved? 6? More? Less? The trades say the paper is expecting more cuts in August. Any truth to that rumor?

Draft saved Draft deleted