1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daniel Tosh and Rape Jokes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Riptide, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

That is outstanding.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Daniel Tosh smug, annoying and freaky. I not only don't get his humor, I marvel that he isn't punched in the face routinely.

That said, my kids love his show. I walked past the TV the other day, and it featured a clip of a guy skateboarding down the street while taking a dump.

Daniel Tosh stands on the shoulders of wackos and attention whores.

3. McCrank

McCrank Member

Jim Norton had a great 10 minutes about Sandusky and Penn State in his last special ("Please Be Offended"). There's funny there.

If someone doesn't find a particular topic funny, that's their right, but it doesn't make it objectively unfunny or inappropriate. I don't think what Tosh did was wrong; in fact, I think the girl from the audience was the real dummy. She has right to find any subject objectionable, but not inject herself into the show. No one was there to see her. I also don't think Tosh was particularly funny in that instance. But, as a comedian, he has earned the right to try and make "sensitive" subjects funny. He just may fall flat from time to time.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I haven't seen Norton's latest special yet, but he's another comedian who I think is brilliant, who, if you went through the bulk of his jokes, there will be people who will be offended...

Jim Norton, Louis C.K., Chris Rock, Sarah Silverman, Anthony Jeselnik, Amy Schumer, Kathy Griffin all have portions of their act that are likely to offend some people.

Don't like that kind of humor, go see Jim Dunham and Peanut.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Jeff, but I get your point. This thread reminded me to add Tosh.O to my new cable account, we switched and forgot to write down the shows we watch.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

http://www.theonion.com/articles/daniel-tosh-chuckles-through-own-violent-rape,28769/

Well, the Onion sure thought it was a topic worthy of jokes.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yup. That there.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

He is smug. He is annoying. He is freaky. I also marvel that he isn't punched in the face routinely. But I DO get his humor. It's not something I seek out every day, but in the right mood when I'm feeling utterly immature I enjoy it.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My buddy will use this line when he wants to find out among bunch of people who has a sense of humor. It makes me laugh every time:

"It's not rape if you know her name." *then he shrugs his shoulders*

So, yeah...I find Tosh funny as well.

10. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I find him funny sometimes, but I realize he makes sexist jokes. They don't really bother me because that's a big part of his thing. If it did offend me, I'd likely not go to his show. I don't know if the joke he was gonna tell was funny or not, because it got sidetracked when this girl made it about her by heckling. If she was offended, she could just leave, but what may have offended her, may not offend someone else, so I think she was out of line.

11. workerB12

workerB12 Member

If only one person out of hundreds got upset, why is her opinion the most important?

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

She had to know going in he was going to make tasteless rape jokes. She should have just sat back and enjoyed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted