1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daniel Tosh and Rape Jokes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Riptide, Jul 11, 2012.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Who's Daniel Tosh and why should I care?
    Besides didn't we already go through this over on Sports & News when someone used the line from Blazing Saddles as the subject and everyone else just ran with it?

2. LA Times

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Someone who would go to a Tosh show and not expect to be offended is an idiot.

Someone in the audience at any standup comedian's show who thinks it's their place to heckle the person everyone is there to see is an asshole.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

[​IMG]

Wonders what the big deal is regarding inappropriate humor

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No topic/word is intrinsically unfunny or offensive.
    All topics/words are subject to context, delivery and intent.

This is very much in line with Tosh's act. I think he's pretty funny, but not everything hits. When your act is based around threading the public's line of offensiveness/inappropriateness, you've got to expect splashback.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Of course, when you get splashback, your best move is not to say, "Hey, wouldn't it be funny if you got raped, too?"

There's a long line of Sandusky jokes there, too, but who would laugh at them?

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I would laugh at them depending on the joke and the delivery.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

In you don't find inappropriate jokes funny, then I don't really know what to say to you. For me, it's a staple of our newsroom and, usually, the only thing keeping most of us sane.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very well-said.

Sarah Silverman has a lot of jokes about being raped. One of her her first big jokes was "I was raped by my doctor, which as a Jew is so bittersweet."

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

A lot of jokes are not funny, but that's because the joke isn't funny not because a word or topic is off limits.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Very good example, and a funny example.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yes, but can men make rape jokes at women's expense? No.

Draft saved Draft deleted