1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Danica Patrick wins first race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Apr 20, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

MOTEGI, Japan (AP) — Danica Patrick has won the Indy Japan 300 for her first series victory.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

BT, beat me to it. Mods please delete my thread.

Wow.

I know few among you care, but since the reunification of the two open-wheel series, things are really looking up for IndyCar. Between Graham Rahal's win and this, the Indianapolis 500 is going to have more buzz than it has in years.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Girl Power. Damn I wish I was at work to push for this story.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

As I wait to resend the black plate from the front, and an inside page where the actual story will run. Congrats, Danica.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I called work from home and pulled back the sports page, even though we were done.

This is really big in my neck of the woods.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Congrats to her. Hopefully this will be her big breakthrough.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It changes everything.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Midnight deadline.

Not a damn thing we can do about it. Could send a page up . . . where it would sit and not get put on the press.

Gotta get that press run completed so we can print The New York Times down here, too.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Wow, congrats Danica! Long time coming.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I agree.

Yet, it was also inevitable.

11. jps

jps Active Member

press was starting up late for other problems, so we got it in on a remake if they put it up.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was the IndyCar Series' greatest dream and worst nightmare -- Danica winning, but in Japan. I'm not sure there were any U.S. racing beat reporters there, even the broadcast team wasn't there (they called it from Long Beach, but did a good job). Like this thread shows, how many papers will get this in? I will say that if this isn't in my morning Indianapolis Star, someone there should be shot.

The payoff will come more on Monday, then next weekend at Kansas and certainly next month at Indy, in the end obviously a HUGE boost for open-wheel racing. Good for her.

Draft saved Draft deleted