1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Wetzel on column writing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Aug 29, 2013.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The take-away: when covering games, don't send out (a) myriad (of) tweets.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you are not watching the game on TV, isn't there a better way to follow the action, like a game cast, than looking at tweets?

Now if you are tweeting "trainer said, Gore broke his leg," that is one thing, but "TD 49ERS, Montana to Rice" is just redundant because of all the locations you can see it.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I agree with his main point but Twitter is incredibly useful when you miss something and/or when journalists and fans watching home saw/ heard something you didn't. Also, I use Twitter to try out lines and jokes. I use them all the time. My problem is with journalists who break stuff on Twitter before writing it _ Twitter doesn't pay you like Wetzel said _ and the guys who use Twitter as ego strokes, be it RTing compliments or spoiling a live event like a draft.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Are you a comedian?

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You got jokes, huh?

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I agree with Wetzel's sentiments, but he misses one key point.

Most reporters tweet because they're told by their bosses that they have to.

Wetzel probably is not, and gets free reign to handle his work, and the emphasis of it, how ever he wants.

8. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Wetzel's point is simply that there is tweeting and there is TWEETING. Any boss who insists a beat writer tweet PBP is a clown, and Wetzel is speaking to that boss as much as young reporter/writer types. Wetzel tweets regularly, even during big events, just not every twenty seconds.

If you want to be seen as an intellectual like Wetzel, tweet like one, not a spastic stenographer. People don't follow Wetzel on Twitter because he's great at Twitter, they do it because of his body of work.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I now have a delightful new way to describe my job as a preps writer.

10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And somebody will be changing their SJ handle to "Spastic Stenographer" in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... :)

11. boxingnut4324

boxingnut4324 Member

I find Twitter helpful when I'm covering games, especially because I'm usually doing high school games. For instance if I'm covering a hockey game I'll tweet out goals and other, what I think are, salient observations. Also, I find it really helpful when I'm writing on deadline to be able to go back through my tweets and find something I forgot. Especially with flowing games like soccer, basketball, or hockey I find it really helpful to be able to look back and see "Jenkins out after Sanderson hit and Podunk doesn't look the same." IT jogs the memory and adds a layer to the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted