1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Uggla, worst All-Star performance ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 16, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think Brian Roberts has something to say about that.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: Dan Uggla, worst All-Star ever?

Yes. They did.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I figured there was someone I was forgetting. And Zim when he's healthy and hitting.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Roberts is a good, useful player, but Uggla's got 81 homers in 2 1/2 seasons. He's in rare company, at least to this point in his career.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sax's defense was a problem well before he got to Yankee Stadium. He had 30 errors with the Dodgers in 1983.

6. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Perez had at least four seasons in Coors Field during his career. Guzman is significantly better.

That said, Uggla was having a flukey season to begin with. He's a guy who strikes out a ton and hits for power. In the first half, he got lucky and his average was higher than it will be when the season is finished. He's a horrible defensive player.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Even 9- and 10-year-olds know that's ridiculous.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Uggla has more power than Roberts but, best I can tell, Roberts is the superior player in EVERY other aspect of the game. Brian is also one of the smarter (from a baseball standpoint) players in the game.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't know about the baseball smarts one way or another, but Roberts is a much better defensive player than the other elite second basemen we are talking about on this thread. Utley is decent with the glove. Uggla and Kinsler are well below decent, though I think Kinsler is more likely to become a decent defender with more experience.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Baseball is in his blood. Brian's dad, Mike, was his coach at the University of North Carolina. I believe Mike's coaching in the Cape Cod League now.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not too long ago, there was an SportsJournalists.com debate as to who the better second baseman was, Utley or Uggla. I would say last night's performance closes the door on that one. Brutal, brutal defense.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Sax had that mental block Dale Murphy had when he was a catcher. He could make the play cleanly, he couldn't make the throw.

Draft saved Draft deleted