1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Ruthemeyer, SE of Mount Vernon, WA paper, in hospital

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Spartakate, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

A coworker of mine collapsed Monday at work. His name is Dan Ruthemeyer and he is the sports editor of the Skagit Valley Herald. He's in a medically induced coma at Skagit Valley Hospital. I've only been working there for a couple of weeks so I don't know him well.

I'm not sure how much his wife would want posted on the board, but my understanding is he has a fight ahead of him but he also has a chance to pull through. It was heart related.

A couple of coworkers stepped up and helped him until the EMTs arrived (it felt like a long time but I have no clue what the real response time was). We are told he arrived alive at the hospital because of their efforts. Just a further reminder that everyone needs to consider CPR certification. You never know who you are going to help.

I wasn't sure how or if to post this. I'm not sure if prayer helps anything (it sure didn't when I was trying to get World Series tickets Tuesday), but good vibes his direction would be appreciated.

2. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I send him my prayers. Hope everything turns out well. Sounds like a traumatic situation. You guys in the newsroom stick together.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If anything is being done for his family, let us know.

I know folks have stepped up big in the past, and we'd want to be behind one of our brother journalists.

4. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

Word on the street is he's talking so that's a really good sign. I am not sure if the family needs anything right now but if I hear anything I'll update.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dan, buck up, buddy. Your department needs you. Have you seen all the typos lately? :D

We at SJ will have a big party for you when you're strong enough to walk again.

6. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

Holy shit, I used to work with this guy back when the Tundra was still frozen (before global warming and all that). Really nice guy. Hadn't heard that name in a long, long time ... unfortunate to hear it under these conditions. Good luck, sir.

7. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

He's recognizing people and talking and things are looking up. Thanks for the good vibes!

8. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

He's going to be back at work in a few weeks, I'm told. Take your time getting back!

Draft saved Draft deleted