1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Rather: Obama couldn't sell watermelons if...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 8, 2010.

1. mb

mb Active Member

Ohs noes. I make a pissy comment every time the Obama-racial comment subject comes up. Let's turn it into some big fucking deal.

I'm sure you'd all take being called a racist in stride.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

In his autobiography "The Camera Never Blinks," Rather documents covering the civil rights movement, including meeting Martin Luther King Jr., the Ole Miss riots and more. He even talked early in the book about how his father stood up for his black co-workers at a union meeting.

Now this? Oh man.....

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My favorite watermelon story...

Our old paper did a video of an interview with Famous Amos (the cookie guy).

He was wearing a shirt with a watermelon on it and opened by saying "My wife says this is stereotypical, but whatever, I like watermelon, so I bought a shirt with watermelons on it."

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't understand Rather's point. I would buy a watermelon from Obama. Especially if it was seedless.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think Rather is guilty of anything other than being too senile to make a good analogy.

Anybody who has followed Rather's career knows that he's a lot of things, but racist is not one of them.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, somehow I suspect that a Rather has dementia/Alzheimer's announcement will be coming out in the next year or two.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Rather is lucky that Chris Matthews is such a chatterbox that he was talking over Rather before Rather finished the thought. Doesn't make it any less of a f*ckup, of course, but it's not a crystal-clear sound bite. Looks worse in print than on tape.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

End well, this won't.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Orange is much more accessible. It's on tap at almost all fast food places.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe Rather can host Fox News with Sarah Palin as his side kick. This week's special guest: Dick Cheney.

\What do the three have in common? Just won't disappear.

Draft saved Draft deleted