1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Patrick joins SI Group/new radio show thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Re: The new Dan Patrick show

Considering the Coyotes can't sell hockey in the Valley of the Sun, did The Great One just talk about his career and his wife's betting habits?

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

A little about his team, but more about his career and the league.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If nothing else, the new Tirico show on ESPN and from what I'm reading about Dan Patrick's new show, it demonstrates just HOW difficult doing solo talk radio really is.

It's bleepin' hard!

I did it for years and the best shows are always ones where you have someone to bounce it off of the whole time. I've written this in another thread. Tirico seems to have zero opinions about anything at this point. I'm sorry, Mike, you gotta give me something to think about, not just play the host/straight-man every time Van Pelt hits it out of the park.

Scott Van Pelt actually may be one of the few who could carry it by himself. He is that entertaining.

Cowherd gets plenty of bashers. I happen to not be one of them as I find his show a "must listen" every morning because he is so "out there". He says things the ESPN TV stiffs (Tirico, Greenberg, Golic and formerly Patrick) would never say in a million years. Sometimes it's wrong, many times it's right. It might be because Cowherd openly targets me as his demographic -- 33 year old guy, with a kid, trying to juggle life with some sports but not enough time for constant analysis of every game. He's "guy talk" and I think he does it very well.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I could take Cowherd more if he wasn't so arrogant and cocky. It's just a big turnoff to me.

And there's no in between: Either EVERYBODY is watching something or NOBODY is watching something.

Another pitfall of doing a show by yourself is that you tend to repeat yourself. Cowherd drives me crazy because he repeats the same point so many times. I understand making a point again in a new hour, but Cowherd is much worse than that.

5. Sandman

Sandman Member

Dan Patrick Joins SI Group

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/2007/10/more_on_dan_patrick_joining_sp.html

6. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

if this hasn't been posted anywhere. here's more patrick news.

For Immediate release:

DAN PATRICK JOINS SPORTS ILLUSTRATED

In Partnership With Dan Patrick and The Content Factory, Sports Illustrated
    Will Offer Co-Branded Content in Print, Digital, Radio Simulcast and Live Events

NEW YORK, October 18, 2007 - Dan Patrick, one of the most recognizable names in sports media, joins the Sports Illustrated Franchise as a senior writer for Sports Illustrated and SI.com. As part of a larger partnership with Dan Patrick and his content distribution company The Content Factory, Sports Illustrated’s Digital Group will host and produce the website DANPATRICK.com.

“Dan Patrick is a sports genius,” said Terry McDonell, Editor of the Sports Illustrated Group. “He’s fast, funny, analytic, old-school informed and, most important, he believes in the values reflected in the sports he covers. He will bring all of that to SI.”

Highlights of the partnership between Dan Patrick, SI and The Content Factory include:

Patrick will pen a weekly column for Sports Illustrated beginning in January.
    SI Digital will re-launch DANPATRICK.com in early 2008 with audio simulcast from the nationally syndicated radio program, “The Dan Patrick Show”.
    FanNation technology will power a daily Patrick blog and social-networking community.
    SI writers will make regularly scheduled appearances on “The Dan Patrick Show,” with Peter King, Tom Verducci and Rick Reilly all joining the week of October 22nd.
    Patrick will serve as an emcee on December 4th for SI’s Sportsman of the Year Award celebration, an honor awarded by SI to the sports figure or team which best symbolizes the ideals of sportsmanship.

“I couldn’t be more excited to work with the Sports Illustrated Franchise, which, in my mind, represents the pinnacle of sports journalism,” said Dan Patrick. “Sports Illustrated’s lineup of writers is legendary and it is a true honor to share that company and follow in a long line of some of the nation’s most renowned sports journalists. This deal provides us with a great opportunity to cross promote our content in print, online and over the airwaves.”

“The Sports Illustrated Franchise is committed to bringing powerful, cross-platform solutions to the marketing community. Our partnership with Dan and The Content Factory builds on an already strong content package where advertisersspeak directly to the SI audience,” said Mark Ford, President, Sports Illustrated. “Dan’s magazine column, DANPATRICK.com and the simulcast of Dan’s radio show collectively represent engaging platforms to both sports fans and the advertisers looking to connect with them.”

SI will serve as the sales agent for DANPATRICK.com, allowing advertisers to continue to reach consumers on a multi-platform level. In addition, DANPATRICK.com traffic will be rolled-up into the SI Digital Network.

“Our partnership with Sports Illustrated is a tangible manifestation of the vision we had when we founded The Content Factory – to establish partnerships that will maximize an individual’s brand,” said Jimmy de Castro, The Content Factory Founder and Managing Partner. Dan’s unique brand of humor and wit can now be heard nationwide on the Dan Patrick radio show and be enjoyed by millions of loyal Sports Illustrated and SI.com readers.”

Patrick worked for ESPN from 1989 – 2007 and in 1999, he began hosting “The Dan Patrick Show,” which was heard on ESPN radio and carried on 325 national affiliates. He is also the author of a book entitled “Outtakes,” based on his no-holds-barred question-and-answer interviews in ESPN The Magazine. Prior to joining ESPN, Patrick was a sports anchor/reporter for CNN for six years.

In 2000, Patrick was named the National Sportscaster of the Year from the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association; he is only the second cable commentator to receive this honor. In 1998, he received a Sports Emmy Award in the Studio Host category. He received a CableACE Award in 1997 for his work on SportsCenter.

A graduate of the University of Dayton, Patrick earned his BA in broadcasting. In 1997, he received a Distinguished Alumni Award from the University of Dayton.

-SI-

Contacts:
    Robert Broderick for Sports Illustrated
    212-522-7644 or 718-873-3635
    Robert_Broderick@timeinc.com

Elevate Communications for Dan Patrick
    Keith Gainsboro, p.617-861-3650 / c.857-234-1481
    keith@elevatecom.com

Krystal M. Grube
    312 Stuart St. | Floor 5
    Boston, MA 02116
    t. 617.861.3658 | f. 617.249.1729
    e. kgrube@elevatecom.com

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dan Patrick to SI

May be in discussion on the other thread but what the hell. This is fairly significant:

In Partnership With Dan Patrick and The Content Factory, Sports Illustrated

Will Offer Co-Branded Content in Print, Online, Streaming Media and Live Events

NEW YORK, October 18, 2007 - Dan Patrick, one of the most recognizable names in sports media, joins the Sports Illustrated Franchise as a senior writer for Sports Illustrated and SI.com. As part of a larger partnership with Dan Patrick and his content distribution company The Content Factory, Sports Illustrated’s Digital Group will host and produce the website DANPATRICK.com.

“Dan Patrick is a sports genius,” said Terry McDonell, Editor of the Sports Illustrated Group. “He’s fast, funny, analytic, old-school informed and, most important, he believes in the values reflected in the sports he covers. He will bring all of that to SI.”

Highlights of the partnership between Dan Patrick, SI and The Content Factory include:

Patrick will pen a weekly column for Sports Illustrated beginning in January.
    SI Digital will re-launch DANPATRICK.com in early 2008 with audio simulcast from the nationally syndicated radio program, “The Dan Patrick Show”.
    FanNation technology will power a daily Patrick blog and social-networking community.
    SI writers will make regularly scheduled appearances on “The Dan Patrick Show,” with Peter King, Tom Verducci and Rick Reilly all joining the week of October 22nd.
    Patrick will serve as an emcee on December 4th for SI’s Sportsman of the Year Award celebration, an honor awarded by SI to the sports figure or team which best symbolizes the ideals of sportsmanship.

“I couldn’t be more excited to work with the Sports Illustrated Franchise, which, in my mind, represents the pinnacle of sports journalism,” said Dan Patrick. “Sports Illustrated’s lineup of writers is legendary and it is a true honor to share that company and follow in a long line of some of the nation’s most renowned sports journalists. This deal provides us with a great opportunity to cross promote our content in print, online and over the airwaves.”

“The Sports Illustrated Franchise is committed to bringing powerful, cross-platform solutions to the marketing community. Our partnership with Dan and The Content Factory builds on an already strong content package where advertisers speak directly to the SI audience,” said Mark Ford, President, Sports Illustrated. “Dan’s magazine column, DANPATRICK.com and the simulcast of Dan’s radio show collectively represent engaging platforms to both sports fans and the advertisers looking to connect with them.”

SI will serve as the sales agent for DANPATRICK.com, allowing advertisers to continue to reach consumers on a multi-platform level. In addition, DANPATRICK.com traffic will be rolled-up into the SI Digital Network.

“Our partnership with Sports Illustrated is a tangible manifestation of the vision we had when we founded The Content Factory – to establish partnerships that will maximize an individual’s brand,” said Jimmy de Castro, The Content Factory Founder and Managing Partner. Dan’s unique brand of humor and wit can now be heard nationwide on the Dan Patrick radio show and be enjoyed by millions of loyal Sports Illustrated and SI.com readers.”

Patrick worked for ESPN from 1989 – 2007 and in 1999, he began hosting “The Dan Patrick Show,” which was heard on ESPN radio and carried on 325 national affiliates. He is also the author of a book entitled “Outtakes,” based on his no-holds-barred question-and-answer interviews in ESPN The Magazine. Prior to joining ESPN, Patrick was a sports anchor/reporter for CNN for six years.

In 2000, Patrick was named the National Sportscaster of the Year from the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association; he is only the second cable commentator to receive this honor. In 1998, he received a Sports Emmy Award in the Studio Host category. He received a CableACE Award in 1997 for his work on SportsCenter.

A graduate of the University of Dayton, Patrick earned his BA in broadcasting. In 1997, he received a Distinguished Alumni Award from the University of Dayton.

-SI-

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Dan Patrick Joins SI Group

Hell of a coup for SI, for sheer name recognition. Forgive my ignorance here, but can Pugh actually write well?

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

TV guy does print.

This should go over beautifully here.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Oy.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It sounded as sincere as a Coors commercial.

12. Sandman

Sandman Member

Beatcha by about a minute, JD. :D

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/48383/

Draft saved Draft deleted