1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Mullen will walk out on reporters if they ask about injuries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 3, 2012.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"Our quarterback is sidelined with some bullshit...and our starting defensive tackle has some serious bullshit."

2. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

I had a college soccer coach from a Southern Conference school refuse to answer any questions about injuries because he didn't want to give any opponents an advantage. This was a student newspaper, with no website at the time. I had a class with a couple of team members, I asked them, got the information and of course was yelled at by the coach...and he was mad at his SID for not banning me from games.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

George O'Leary freaked out one day because there were traffic helicopters flying over I-75/85 in Atlanta. The interstate is two blocks or less from Georgia Tech's practice field. O'Leary was worried someone in those choppers was taping his practices.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Especially in the playoffs, hockey coaches match the paranoia.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Oh, and God bless the writer that calls Mullen's bluff.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Football coaches are paranoid because they are control freaks attempting to control a sport that is inherently chaotic. This breeds frustration.
    There is no reason the NCAA or college presidents could not create a structured injury information policy. The NFL has one, and it has had no effect on the success or paranoia of Bill Belichick. Hondo is right. Were I a gambler, I'd have every student manager on my pad I could find.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What are talking about? Why, they're very upfront about all those "upper-body injuries" and "flu-like symptoms."

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Brad Locke from the Tupelo paper. He's also the one who posted the video.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's trickling into other sports.

Hockey is worse than football about injuries. When Marian Hossa got his clock cleaned in the playoffs last year by Raffi Torres, most people around Chicago were genuinely concerned about his well-being. It was scary. And yet not a peep out of the Blackhawks. If I recall, they wouldn't even admit he was out from one game to the next, even though he clearly wasn't returning for a long, long time.

Watch a baseball conference on the mound now. Glove over the mouth, thanks to HD.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In 2004, Deion Branch got clobbered in a game in September. The Patriots report was "he had the wind knocked out of him." Branch returned to action the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That isn't thanks to HD. That is thanks to Will Clark taking Greg Maddux onto Sheffield Avenue in the 1989 NLCS after seeing Maddux say "fastball in" during a mound conference.

http://sfgiants.mlblogs.com/2010/02/06/a-glimpse-of-fanfest/

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

For sure. I got annoyed with it for a while, then understood why they wouldn't talk about it and sort of gave up.

I remember one night after an overtime playoff game, I asked hometown coach why player X was not playing with players Y and Z (as he usually did) in the third period and overtime. His response: "Next question".

Draft saved Draft deleted