1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Marino's Baby

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 31, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I admit that my characterization of the Lewis stuff may have been off because I had read somewhere that he had stepped up financially in every respect (and there was no mention of any fights) so yeah, I had thought I was comparing apples to apples. Guess I was wrong.

Had Ray Lewis' financial support been the same as Marino's, then yeah, it appears to be a double standard.

What is puzzling is that Lewis gets ripped for out of wedlock children; yet um Marino is the one who was married, and has broken his marriage vow.

I don't think that its fair for you to point out Lewis "not being a daily presence" in the kids' lives when Marino apparently agreed to a deal to have the kid go to Texas:

"The Post said sources told them that Marino agreed to pay Savattere millions to care for Chloe, that she moved to Texas as part of the deal, and that it’s unclear how much Marino paid her."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/31/3209786/report-dan-marino-fathered-child.html#storylink=cpy

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One (other) woman vs. three (other) women, qtlaw.

I don't think Marino looks great here. Again, that's why it's on the cover of the New York Post. You seem to be intimating that nobody's making a big deal of it but, uh, it's a national story right now. What do you want people to do?

But one (other) baby mama vs. three (other) baby mamas, it's not even close. You're just on a "it'd be different if Marino were black!" kick and you're looking for any way to back that up.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Exactly; its not a national story. Looks like a double standard to me. Marino gets kid glove treatment, Lewis gets ripped. Am I looking to say its racist? NO. But its still disparate treatment.

One vs 3? How about single guy v. married guy? You can disagree but I disagree that "its not even close."

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We are both sitting in the Bay Area. The story was in the New York Post. It's being discussed at the Super Bowl in New Orleans and on ESPN.

How is that not a national story?

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sorry, laziness, I thought you said it wasn't a national story. My mistake.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Frankly, I pay little or no attention to Ray Lewis other than occasionally seeing him on the field.

The fact that he has X kids by X women I only know because of . . . Wes Welker's girlfriend.

So if Lewis has/had been getting ripped for this for several years before, well, that's news to me, too.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd think Lewis also gets ripped because he's been so vocal about his religion. It comes off as somewhat phony because he fathered all of those kids.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What are you getting at? [nottotallyoblivious] ...

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I heard she tried to bang about five different QBs that night but had to settle for Marino.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Todd Blackledge was unavailable for comment.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does that much really get said about Lewis having so many kids out of wedlock?

I know most of us know about it because we follow it. I don't think it's common knowledge on any level. Has it been mentioned during Super Bowl coverage? Hell, I've seen more footage of him talking to a classroom of kids about how he didn't spend a Father's Day with his father until he was 33 or something like that and how he promised his son he would be at his games at Miami next season.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

And also like Damone, he wouldn't pay for the abortion.

Draft saved Draft deleted