1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Damn you Stub Hub

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Guybehindtheguy, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Alright, so the Mrs. and I decided to suck it up and pay through the nose for some NFL tickets.

Upper level end zone. About three rows from the top. Would have liked to get closer, but I'm buying tickets for 4 people and I'm trying to hedge my bets in case the other two people going with us blow me off.

Deep breath. OK, $95 a pop. Throw in shipping and handling, and it comes to a nice, tidy $430.

Hey, the tickets come in two days. They're legit, not like that Punky Brewster episode where Henry bought scalped tickets to the Cubs/Padres NLCS, only to see that they were for 1884, not 1984.

Face value of each ticket $19.

Now, I've bought scalped tickets at games before, and as a matter of fact, I thought I struck a blow for all mankind when at a college basketball game last year, I literally stole the tickets from the scalper and ran like a bitch.

Here's my problem: The NFL is endorsing tickets being sold on Stub Hub. The are links on NFL sites to Stub Hub. Is the NFL getting a piece? Isn't there some sports business writer trolling on this board who can help a dude out?

I would do it, but now I've got to take on a second job to pay off the tickets.

Karma, thy name is Stub Hub. You bitch.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

$19 face value... are you kidding me?

Is that in Buffalo?

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Three rows from the top in the end zone? You might as well charter a plane to circle around the stadium. At least that way, you'd get a closer view to the action.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you're thinking what the NFL is doing is illegal, think again. The Cubs/Tribune set up their own scalping operation a few years ago and were taken to court over it. The Cubs/Tribune won the suit and continue to scalp tickets today.

5. You know the bitch of it is, considering what I do for a living, to pay for seats that are worse than the ones we get when we're working is a real pain in the ass.
    Then again, we can get shitfaced ...

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

StubHub's on the bottom of my ticket-resource list. They take HUGE slices, coming and
    going. You're better off going to the stadium and trying your luck in the lot.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I find it just remarkable that the current judicial climate would be pro-business ...

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"You can even get stucco. Oh, how you can get stucco . . . "

-- G. Marx, The Cocanuts

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I know plenty of reporters who get that way when they ARE covering a game.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The Cardinals have some $10 face value tickets. I wonder what those are fetching on Stub Hub?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

StubHub is a "self-scalping" outlet for arenas to astronomically jack up the prices on their own sold-out events.

Draft saved Draft deleted