1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Damn You, Jimmy V!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've got college hoops on TV tonight in the background while I'm doing some paperwork. Then the Jimmy V speech comes on. I begin to watch. At first, I'm thinking these cynical thoughts about players like Chris Washburn. Then, within a minute, I'm tearing up like a little girl until Dickie V and Coach K walk him off stage. Bastard.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yup. No matter how many times I watch it or how much of it I know by heart, I can't change the channel when he's on.

In fact, about half an hour ago, I was digging up Dave Kindred's "trees will tap dance" column to quote on our board.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Possibly the greatest speech in the History of Sport.

His and Gehrig are 1, 1A.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I recorded it tonight, so I can hear it any time I need a lift.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I still remember the mood around campus when it was announced that he died. Somber, somber time.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

And I have to admit ... Dickie V's story about the little girl who had knee pain - which was later found to be cancer - gave me a lump in my throat. Dick Vitale can be a pretty good speaker.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

When he's not yelling.

9. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

A damn amazing speech. I don't cry ever, and I get a little teary-eyed at that one.

My father passed away from cancer four months ago, and I just found out today that my uncle was diagnosed with colon cancer (thankfully, it hasn't spread anywhere yet). If I wasn't completely dog-ass broke right now, I'd give money to the cause in a heartbeat.

10. soccer10k

soccer10k Member

My favorite part is "your family, your religion, and the Green Bay Packers".

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I've been fortunate to have a pretty healthy family history ... except for cancer. Took three of my grandparents and an uncle at the age of 31 ... which is my wife's age and the age I turn in a month.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Get checked. Don't be afraid.

Draft saved Draft deleted