1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dammit SNL, what happened?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by G-Spot, Oct 7, 2006.

1. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

I really haven't watched SNL in about two years and I'm sitting here contemplating punching myself in the balls to ease the pain of the show. Turn the channel? I'm hoping it gets better. The first three sketches were some of the worst I've ever seen.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Seth Meyers, Seth Meyers, Seth Meyers

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Seemed like as good a place as any to put it:

I love the Corinne Bailey Rae CD. It's similar to this song...breezy, light, kind of a Norah Jones feel with less brooding.

Love it.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I did like the skit at the school with the dancing, but only because I can see people actually doing that.

5. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I have been watching for a half hour now and haven't laughed once.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm not that thrilled with the start of the season either.

But once again, remember ... we tend to remember the old days of SNL as a bit more consistent than it really was.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You are right, Shottie -- people tend to remember the SNL of when they were 15-20 as the best ever. But this era is absolutely dreadful. Mark Foley was a gift from the comedy gods and they screwed that up. They just aren't bringing the funny.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, I can't argue with that, Pope.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Consistent or not, shottie, I don't think I ever went an hour into a show in the Phil Hartman years without a single smile.

It's the first SNL I've watched in years, really. I've seen bits and pieces, if I got home in time. But this...this is a far cry from what I remember as the best years.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Okay, a few things on Update made me laugh.
    On Bill Frist saying the war in Afghanistan cannot be won militarily, Meyers sez that must really mean we're in trouble if First is giving up, because "he's the guy who thought we could fix Terry Schiavo."
    HA!
    Peter O'Toole was pretty spot-on, except it would have been funnier with someone a little less... well, 1980. Maybe Mel Gibson? With the goofy-ass beard?
    Also, in the "Fugly Betsy" bit, Armisen looking dead in the camera and saying "Fugly don't crack."

Anyway, that's about it so far.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The Frist line fell flat, from what I could tell. Didn't do much for me either. Could we get less timely?

12. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Big Wigs... awful, just awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted