1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dammit, Courtney Paris is the best player ever!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hammer Pants, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

As someone who used to cover women's hoops and have an AP vote, I still get 8 million women's basketball e-mails every day.

None quite like this little slice of heaven from Oklahoma's Jared Thompson.

I feel horrible for this guy, especially because I've just recently learned to (mostly) control my own temper. But maybe it can be a nice reminder for everyone to watch your temper.

---------------------------------------

Texas A&M’s Danielle Gant was named Big 12 Women’s Basketball Player of the Week today for games played Feb. 18-24.

No disrespect to Danielle Gant’s accomplishments, but this week’s Big 12 Women’s Basketball Player of the Week voting was absurd. It was bad enough when the selection had to come down to “co-players of the week” whenever Courtney Paris was involved. In fact, over the past three seasons, there were six votes when co-player honors were awarded by the conference, Paris had to share the nomination on five of those occasions. Apparently, setting two conference records and totaling more points and rebounds than any other player in the league isn’t enough to get a sixth share.

Last week’s statistics, plain and simple, follow.

Danielle Gant, Texas A&M: 34 points, 13 rebounds, 9 assists, 2 blocks, 4 steals

Wins versus teams that were 5-6 and 4-7, respectively, in the Big 12 (unranked Iowa State and Texas)

Notable: Reached 1,000 career points in her 91st game

Courtney Paris, Oklahoma: 45 points, 23 rebounds, 5 assists, 9 blocks, 4 steals

Wins versus teams that were 9-1 and 9-3, respectively, in the Big 12 (then-No. 15 Kansas State and No. 17 Oklahoma State)

Notable: Reached 2,000 career points in her 94th game, faster than any player in Big 12 and Oklahoma history; became Big 12’s career offensive rebounds leader (her 32nd Big 12 Conference record)

Other questionable Big 12 Player of the Week votes this year:

Dec. 10

POW: Bianca Smith, Colorado: 38 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 0 blocks, 1 steal, 55% FG (wins vs. Wyoming, at Vanberbilt)

Courtney Paris, Oklahoma: 39 points, 36 rebounds, 2 assists, 8 blocks, 2 steals, 60% FG (wins at Illinois, at Tulsa)

Dec. 28

POW: Danielle Wilson, Baylor: 15 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals, 55% FG, 32 minutes played (win vs. St. John’s)

Courtney Paris, Oklahoma: 14 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists, 6 blocks, 2 steals, 50% FG, 22 minutes played (win vs. Central Arkansas)

Feb. 4

POW: Kelsey Griffin, Nebraska: 32 points, 20 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 blocks, 4 steals, 54% FG (wins vs. Kansas State, at Missouri)

Courtney Paris, Oklahoma: 30 points, 27 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals, 50% FG (wins vs. Kansas, at Texas)

Feb. 11 (Co-Players of the Week)

Alison Lacey, Iowa State: 46 points, 12 rebounds, 10 assists, 2 blocks, 0 steals, 45% FG (wins vs. Texas Tech, Missouri)

Courtney Paris, Oklahoma: 35 points, 31 rebounds, 4 assists, 6 blocks, 0 steals, 68% FG (wins at Missouri, vs. Colorado)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Jared Thompson
    University of Oklahoma
    Athletics Media Relations

McClendon Center for Intercollegiate Athletics
    180 W. Brooks, Suite 2525
    Norman, OK 73019

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the second letter, sent 30 minutes later...

------------------------------------------------------------------

I apologize for describing the voting of the Big 12 WBB Player of the Week vote as “absurd” and thank those of you who were upset by the statement. I realize this is very unprofessional and let a moment of frustration take over my emotions.

I understand that the spirit of the award is to recognize the best performance of the week, and often, it is one measured by an above average performance rather than overall statistics. The point I was attempting to make, rather poorly, was that too often Courtney Paris has been overly deserving of the award and has either been dismissed or has had to share the honor. This is rather difficult to explain when nominating players for national awards when they can only win their conference player of the week award once the whole season.

Again, I am truly sorry for my actions and ask you not to take it as a reflection of the University of Oklahoma and its women’s basketball staff and players.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Jared Thompson
    University of Oklahoma
    Athletics Media Relations

McClendon Center for Intercollegiate Athletics
    180 W. Brooks, Suite 2525
    Norman, OK 73019

(PHONE NUMBERS REDACTED BY HAMMER PANTS IN A FUTILE ATTEMPT TO SAVE A MAN WHO COULD STILL QUITE EASILY BE LOCATED)

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Good job redacting those phone numbers. "Jared Thompson" can breathe easy at the University of Oklahoma, whatever that is.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That made me laugh.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Jonas Brothers vs. Zac Efron: Who's Hotter? :eek: :eek:

5. Hammer Pants

Yeah, I redacted the numbers ... and now I realize the futility of my ways.

I guess, like Jared, I should have thought more before hitting enter.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

While he had a point, it might not be the best way to express it.

Courtney Paris is the fucking bomb though. Not as good as Candace Parker, but a great, great player.

7. Hammer Pants

No doubt. Also, she would kick Candace Parker's ass in a fight.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Well put.
    All of us in media should know that these POW awards are spread around so that several people can be recognized over the course of a season.
    Truth be known, Paris and her ilk, in other conferences, should receive these awards probably 75 percent of the time.
    But it's a "share the wealth" sort of thing and SIDs, of all people, should know this.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Especially since she and her sister would probably team up in the fight. They are not small women.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Is this the same guy who "reviewed" tape of a certain game in which Paris only got 8 or 9 rebounds, and magically found two more over the course of the game, thus keeping a cherished double-double streak in tact?

Or was that someone else.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm impressed that Hammer actually opened the e-mail and read all that. I just delete them 99 percent of the time.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Funny, Mr. Thompson, I didn't hear Sherri Coale complaining.

Draft saved Draft deleted