1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DAMMIT, AP...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shotglass, Oct 27, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Our final edition floor time was 12:35. Needed one of those early quoteless sidebars to fill second baseball page.

At 12:30, I call New York and ask how soon we'd see one. The guy told me five minutes, I'd have it in hand.

At 12:42, I put in some early story and unloaded.

I STILL don't see a damn sidebar.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

They've spit the bit often in this series.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

HE ...

Agh, I'm going soft. I can't do it.

4. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

12:30? 12:30? when is that? about 90 minutes later than we're ever allowed to be off the floor. Sometimes, it's even 10. I'd kill for midnight off the floor.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Finally got a sidebar. But it was too late, the inside page was done.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Appreciated ... in my state of disgust, I couldn't have taken it well. ;)

7. sartrean

sartrean Member

Well it's a good thing so many papers are still working on the old press deadlines. You know, there's a cornucopia of Americans out there (maybe canadians, too) that need that newsprint to wrap up their dishes while packing up for the big move.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

We used to have deadlines of 1130, 12 and 1. Now due to having another paper print (and paginate) the paper (shared production to save money) our final deadline is 11 (we were allowed to move it back later during the World Series).

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

With so much circulation loss, you'd think deadlines would be better because we have to print fewer papers.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I have a good friend in Albany, NY, and I visit maybe every third weekend.

I like the Albany Times-Union a lot. Good paper in general. Strong local sports section.

But (and I assume it's because they put out a huge Saturday paper complete with all the Sunday stuffs), their Friday night deadline is ridiculously early (at least for the area I get the paper in), that all they have on Friday night football (playoffs this week in fact) are photos and bare scores.

It's frustrating because I read these great advances on Friday night, but cannot read the gamers.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You are assuming that pressmen and mailroom personnel could actually do their jobs and not be crackheads that often miss work, are arrested or quit.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

In 1983, I was a one-man sports desk, working with composing room guys, everything paste-up. Our final edition was 1:45 a.m.

Today, we are a five-man desk, fully paginated, pages go directly to the RIP from our fingers. Our final edition is 12:35 a.m.

And sadly, I even know the reason for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted