1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Damages

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JNEWFIFTY, Sep 26, 2007.

1. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

Has anyone been following this new show on FX. That network has three of my favorite shows, The Shield, Rescue Me and now Damages. Each week just keeps getting better. Anyone find this show?

2. It started off slow with me, but really picked up steam lately. I have the last episode on dvr to watch in the next couple of days. At first, I was kind of confused with what was goign on, but I really like the advance teasign they do. I just hope it doesn't lose steam in the last few episodes. FX has some of the most solid programming out there. The three shows you mention are the reasons why, but Rescue Me had a very down season, if you ask me.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wifey and I love the show. Intense and provoking. They do a nice job of teasing while providing substantive clues also.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I also thought it was going to be a limited run, just something to fill out the summer schedule. I'm enjoying it, but I do hope they have the sense to wrap it up on its own natural momentum and don't drag it out. No need for a second season (at least not with this case) or anything. Just show us what happened.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's a one-shot deal... I just read something that indicated that next week is the finale...

6. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

Next week is not the finale. I'm sure I read it was 13 episodes and this past Tuesday I think was epsiode 9. I would love to see a second season, but not with this case.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Next week, Oct. 23, is the finale. FX hasn't committed to a second season of the show, but supposedly all the questions of this season will be answered.
    I think the show is/was great, but got a bit murky at times. Maybe a few too many episodes for its own good. I'm still trying to figure out what the deal is with the old guy at the Hewes office. If nothing else, seeing Ted Danson's character snort coke and abuse women was a great treat.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

There's apparently a Damages marathon on the 20th in advance of the finale, for those (like me) who have missed it and want to catch up.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm a bit disappointed with last night's episode. I really hope there's something good in the finale, because as of last night, it became a run of the mill thriller with a videotape upon which the entire case depends.

It entertained me the whole way, so I won't complain about the show, but I guess last night just struck me as something we've all seen before, but it's usually done in an hour on Law & Order.

10. Mira

Mira Member

I've watched Damages faithfully from the beginning. Here's my take: The acting is really, really good, but the plot is predictable and kind of flimsy.

I was still drawn to it week to week. Danson, Close and the dude who plays Ray, the lawyer, are oustanding. But it's totally a Ted Kennedy at Chappaquiddick situation with Frobisher. And Patty Hewes, in my guess, is the sister of the girl killed way back when.

11. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I'm loving this show, but I'd agree that it's 100% actor driven. The plot - while fun - has gotten a little hard to take seriously, as it appears that Arthur Frobisher has the entire city of New York on his payroll.

I give Rose Byrne credit for holding ground with Glenn Close...not an easy task at all. And Ted Danson should get Emmy consideration for his turn as Frobisher, a character he could have played as a stright-up asshole but instead has injected some humanity between moments of being a straight-up asshole.

Unfortunately, I thought the best character was that of Ray Fisk, with a superb acting job by That Guy With Too Many Umluats And Not Enough Vowels In His Name. But one reason why I love FX is that it's never afraid to knock off central characters (R.I.P., Curtis Lemansky.)

12. I second the Ray Fisk character. He and Danson made the show, in my opinion. I was sad to see him offed. I never was a big Glenn Close fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted