1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Dallas" starts again tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 13, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great line last nite from JR when Bobby's wife pointed the rifle at him in the storage room (paraphrasing): "Bullets don't seem to have an effect on me, darlin'."

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

That was a great line, you're right. :D

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm purposely ignoring the talk show after each episode. Would ruin the illusion for me to see the Patrick Duffy and whoever plays John Ross to be yukking it up on a couch. Then again I may be taking this too seriously.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the reemergence of Cliff Barnes last night. I have to keep Wikipedia nearby while watching so that I can have on hand who is related to whom and all of the double-crosses (I was too young to watch the original series). My parents were huge fans of the show though.

And JR's eyebrows kept distracting me last night.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Does anyone know, is this show just a short-term summer fill-in?

Because it seems to be moving really fast. Given the show, I can see how that could be -- just the style and substance of it. But it does seem that the story arcs are really moving along.

And, did we get a suggestion last night that Christopher is the biological son of the playing-both-sides Ewing family lawyer?

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

His eyebrows have been like that for several years, going back to that short-lived show he had where he was (I think) a Harley-riding judge. But you're right, it does give him a devlish look. Perhaps that's what he was going for.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watching it on-demand. Hell of lot better than I thought.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

This 'first' season was only picked up for 10 episodes, so that's probably why.

Already been renewed for a 15-ep second season: http://tvline.com/2012/06/29/dallas-renewed-season-2-tnt/

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've only seen the first two episodes - so have they explained how John Ross knew Bobby was going to sell the ranch to the conservancy and installed his own "Marta?" Knowing that Bobby wouldn't check up on things himself?

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Baffles me why Cliff Barnes thinks Southfork should be his unless it's because he thinks Jock stole Miss Ellie from Digger. The ranch was in Miss Ellie's family, not Jock's.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Miss Ellie was Digger's girlfriend, but she married Jock because she realized Digger was already an unstable drunk while Jock had the money and stability her family needed to save Southfork during the Depression.

They made a TV movie in the mid '80s called "Dallas - The Early Years" to explain the whole feud and what precipitated it.

12. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Jerry Jones had his cameo last night.

Am I asking too much for Dirk, Cuban or even Josh Hamilton to appear next season?

You know, Mark Cuban vs. J.R. Ewing wouldn't be that bad a storyline...

Draft saved Draft deleted