1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Dallas" starts again tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 13, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I flipped past it and said "Hey! It's Sally Sasser!"

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I saw most of the first episode and meh. I won't try to ruin anything so spoilers.

Bobby has the good son, JR has the bad son, Bobby wants to sell the ranch because of all the family fighting and surprise! There is oil on the ranch so of course JR's son wants it. Like I. Said, meh. Might give it another episode or two.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The original was a Friday night show (I think it started on Sundays and they moved it to Friday. The Friday night block during its heyday was Dallas at 9, Falcon Crest at 10.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If she's not only the heiress to the Oh Henry! candy bar fortune, but also has oil money now, well that's one rich lady.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I was going to say I remember it being Friday night right after Dukes of Hazard. I was usuall in bed after the opening montage.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I was big fan during the original run on CBS and the repeats on TNN, as well.

The number of well-known actors to participate is pretty amazing. Hagman was already established, of course. Bel Geddes, Davis, Donna Reed, Kennedy, Kennan Wynn, David Wayne (IIRC). Heck even Barbara Eden passed through. Morgan Fairchild? Though not headliners by any stretch, Ken Kercheval and Steve Kanaly contributed much in supporting roles.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Linda Gray later perform nude as Mrs. Robinson in a Broadway version of "The Graduate?" Thought I read it somewhere.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I am sure there are many on this board in that category. All the same, though, that smarts!! Shows I'm just getting old!!

I may try to watch it. I was not much into it 30 years ago though.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Always has been lots of oil on Southfork. If I'm not mistaken, section 38 has one of the largest untapped supplies of oil in Texas. I thought it was very good. Wasn't expecting much since I'm a big fan of the original but it far exceeded my expectations. Hey, it's TV. That did you expect?

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

David Wayne was the original Digger Barnes before being replaced by Keenan Wynn. Morgan Fairchild, I believe, was the original Jenna Wade. And here's a blast from the past: A young Brad Pitt played Charlie Wade's boyfriend Randy in a few episodes. (And Linda Gray did indeed go The Full Monty in The Graduate. Definitely NSFW: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=linda+gray+nude&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1366&bih=600&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=2m2EP02YcoFgSM:&imgrefurl=http://gutteruncensoredarchiveb.blogspot.com/2008/01/linda-gray-naked-candid.html&docid=okWwDuomaGKRDM&itg=1&imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IznBbFnKxhI/R5n4ZeyhsBI/AAAAAAAAD6w/I1AHZiTP7RE/s400/Linda%252BGray%252BNaked%252BCandid%252BTheRock_LindaGray_TheGraduate_2001_01.jpg&w=181&h=400&ei=_wzaT6icOIXg2QWslc3PBg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=419&sig=106065108195337628678&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=61&start=0&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:83&tx=37&ty=70)

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Now, that is a "performance" I would have liked to have witnessed.

Thanks, TwoGloves.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Hm, thanks for correcting me. I remembered it as being Thursdays, and obviously, didn't look it up. Guess that just shows I'm getting old. :). It was a great show, though, and, as others have said, the continuing edition seems to have some promise.

Can just see that, based on some of the other echoes from the past in it that this is leading right up to "Who shot John Ross?". :D

I guess it should be expected to be portrayed as it is, but I do think this might have been more interesting if Bobby had ended up having the son who turned out to be the bad boy and J.R. the good son and the show was dealing with that...

Draft saved Draft deleted