1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dallas Stars player collapses on bench; game to be rescheduled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 10, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A really great example of the importance of having defibrillators close to the bench in sports nowadays. Really a great job by the medical people. Makes me wonder if they could have saved Hank Gathers back in 1990 if they'd had a defibrillator close by.

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

That too.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

LMU did have a defibrillator close by on their bench. That started when Gathers collapsed in a game against UC Santa Barbara around Christmas. But some dumbass doctor did not want to use it on the court because he thought it might freak out some people in the stands.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Anyone remember the Clint Malarchuk blade-to-the-neck from 1989 -- Blues/Sabres?

I was listening to it on the radio, the Blues call, and it was horrifying...and that was without pictures? Malarchuk would have likely died on the ice had he been at the other goal.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You see something like that and think how lucky he is it happened at the arena and not while he was alone in a hotel room or on a flight. Have to believe he's played his last NHL game.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I don't know if there's a person in the game I respect more than Clint Malarchuk.

He's battled some awful issues off the ice but seems to have found professional peace with himself as goalie coach of the Flames.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Best wishes to Peverley.

An operational defibrillator with access to a power source might have saved the life of Alexei Cherepanov. Then again, the KHL team he was playing for didn't even have an ambulance at the rink.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's what I figure too.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

May be wrong but don't think the rhythm was atrial fibrillation. When people lose their pulse it's because the lower chambers of the heart are affected by ventricular flutter or fibrillation. This is when the AED or manual defibrillator is used to treat sudden cardiac death.
    http://www.medicinenet.com/sudden_cardiac_death/article.htm

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

A fib is not a lethal rhythm, though it has its complications.
    V Fib is the killer
    Two distinct and separate heart problems

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The two things being tossed around in Stars circles are A-fib with rapid ventricular response (which I have no idea what that means or how the ventricle actually becomes involved) or V-fib. He came off the ice, took about two steps and collapsed in front of the bench.

The play by play guy gave a radio interview about it earlier today, said they checked for a pulse when he collapsed, screamed for a medic/doctor and dragged him back to the area with the AED. CPR was given, then he was shocked once to get the rhythm reset. He has suffered from a-fib both in training camp and about a week ago, but the PBP guy indicated this incident was different than those.

Lindy Ruff was a player on that Malarchuk team as well as a coach of the opposing team when Zednik had his throat cut and said this incident was much scarier than either of those.

Draft saved Draft deleted