1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daley won't run for re-election (Chicago)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think you're right, but I also think he almost has to run.

He's likely to leave the administration at some point in 2011 anyway. This is his "dream job" and with his earlier proclamation that he'd like to run, there are already people in the West Wing holding open the door for him and measuring the curtains.

If he doesn't run now, he'd have to challenge an incumbent Democrat to ever win.

He doesn't have a base, but if enough people run, he could get to the runoff with a very low percentage.

All indications are that their will be a multitude of candidates. Half of the City Council sees themselves as the next Mayor and no one's going to be able to stop them from running.

He's got to get in quick if he's going to line up endorsements, precinct workers, etc., but he has money and will be able to raise more.

I think he'll be able to stand out above a crowded field. He has some name recognition. (More than anyone else at least.) The media will focus on him.

I think he'd at least make the runoff.

And, if he doesn't run, what does he do instead?

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Waits for whomever comes in next with a rousing 15% of the populace behind it to screw up, spend some time building a base, then run in 2015. Unless, of course, Rahm figures that he can get just enough of the vote in the primary to make it to a runoff in the fall, even if he doesn't have to sweat much. After all, most of the presumed candidates (oustide of Jesse Jr.) are no-name aldermen or hacks who don't have much of a base themselves.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

This thread is akin to throwing a pillow in a paintball battle. I was hoping for something on ..well, never mind.

4. YankeeFan

The latest...

1.) Rahm is polling and looks to be running.

2.) Former Senator Carol Mosely Braun all but announced yesterday. She said that she's formed a committee and that she'll be collecting signatures to get her name on the ballot. She'll also be "talking to people".

But, the announcement mostly got lost among the news that the FBI arrested a Lebanese immigrant who tried to plant a bomb on Saturday night in Wrigleyville.

What little notice she did receive was from unions upset about the choice of venue for her announcement. (The Hyatt, which is in a dispute with its unions.)

Please God, spare us from Carol Moseley Braun.

3.) Finally, Jesse Jackson Jr. has broken his silence. Jackson has been silent since it came out that a fundraiser of his tried to bribe Blaggo to get Jr. Obama's old Senate seat -- while Jr. was at the table.

JJ Jr. says that he did nothing wrong. That he barely remembers the conversation and that what he does remember was in Hindi. (Does Blaggo speak Hindi?)

He met with Rahm and they agreed that the campaign should be respectful. He then promptly gave an interview where he said that obviously he did nothing wrong or else the Feds would have brought charges. He also said he is not on any FBI tapes, but that Rahm was on FBI tapes.

So, Jesse Jackson Jr. is ready to move forward, right?

Well, wrong.

The Sun-Times reported this today:

The hubris of these politicians (of all stripes, my guy Giuliani is among the worst in this area) is incredible.

I don't know how he thinks he can overcome all of this.

I doubt he runs, but who knows.

Here's the girl, btw:

[​IMG]

5. YankeeFan

Jesse Jackson Jr.'s wife has put out her own statement:

I'm convinced that every woman I've ever dated would have just cut my balls off if I had both cheated on them & publicly embarrassed them like this.

Where do these politicians find women who won't?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Once again the fruit does not fall far from the trees.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Carol Moseley Braun? When does Betty Loren Maltese get in on this?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cynthia McKinney is ready to move to Chicago.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Son see . . . son say "Cool! Sign me up!"

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Craig Ferguson had this great line the other night about everybody's favorite Senate candidate, which I bring up not for politics but for another case of a Congresscritter caught with his pants down:

"O'Donnell said that Hollywood needs to re-evaluate what they're doing because movies these days are all filled with gay sex and extramarital affairs. I thought, 'Have fun in Congress then.'"

11. YankeeFan

I don't think this is a big surprise, but Jesse Jackson Jr. is out:

12. YankeeFan

More good news for Rahm. The Cook County Sheriff, who was thought to be a legitimate contender has decided not to run.

Draft saved Draft deleted