1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daley won't run for re-election (Chicago)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Obviously this is politics, but I'm hoping that local politics will be allowed to be discussed they were with the ongoing Detroit story.

I'm stunned Daley isn't running. The election is in February 2011 and the deadline to file is only three weeks after this November's elections.

There are interesting implications as Rahm Emanual has talked previously about wanting to run if Daley did not seak re-election. Also, Axelrod was a Daley campaign advisor, and anyone wanting to win in Chicago in 2011 would want his help.

There's no obvious Republican who has a chance to win, and as with most strong leaders, Daley has left no obvious successor.

The one guy who could be said to have beer groomed by Daley for the job, Schools Chief, Ron Huberman, is openly gay, and I'm not sure Chicago's ready for that. Huberman has previously run the transit system (CTA), The Office of Emergency Management, been Daley's Chief of Staff, and been a high ranking Police official. (He started out as a cop.)

Plenty of Alderman would love the job but have no citywide base or name recognition.

Without a self financed multi-millionaire like Bloomberg, I think this race is Rahm's if he wants it. If he doesn't run, it's up for grabs.

What really shocks me is that I think that Daley's record will be investigated thoroughly once he's out of office. He's been able to shield some of that scrutiny while in office, and as corrupt as some of the people he's surrounded himself with over the years, I would think he'd want to remain in office as long as possible to forestall any serious investigations that could lead all the way to the top.

It's going to be interesting.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My wife called this one. She said Daley wouldn't run because of his wife, who has spent about the last 10 years fighting breast and bone cancer, and whose long-term prognosis is not good. Daley's plunging popularity and the pending departure of several pliable aldermen might have made that personal decision a little easier.

3. Crash

Crash Active Member

I hope Rahm runs. Not because I have any particular ties to the city of Chicago, and not because I really care who runs Chicago, but because I'd think the White House would be capable of hiring a Chief of Staff without such an obvious disdain for the Democratic base. With that said, could Oprah run? Obviously her final season, her new network and her business interests make the timing tough, but I could see her getting into politics eventually. And if not now, when?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Crash, Oprah outranks any American pol, Obama included. Mayor of Chicago would be a real step down for her in terms of influence.

5. YankeeFan

His wife's health was an issue in his decision to run last time as well. I'm not sure whe's any worse off than she was then.

He's certainly less popular. The City's financial health is poor and his decision to sell of parking meters has not been popular. We've lost trade shows because of the high costs at the convention center & Daley hasn't been able to rein them in like the public wants.

We have the highest taxes in the nation and the highest gas prices (save Hawaii).

Crime is up and so is enforcement of things like parking violations.

Everything the City has done lately seems to be about getting revenue in the door instead of improving the quality of life. All of a sudden they're approving things like liquor carts at the airports & additional liquor sales at the beaches.

Daley was a great good economy mayor. He's proven to be a not so great bad economy mayor.

The interesting thing to me is that there's a huge power vacuum to fill. One article speculated that the Cook County Sheriff is interested in running. I'm sure he is, but nobody knows who the fuck he is.

I'll be curious to see if the party establishment can unite behind one candidate. With so much pent up political ambition, I think it will be hard to get everyone in line.

But despite how chaotic the Democrat nominating process might be, I don't see any potential Republican candidate that could win.

6. YankeeFan

Oprah is moving to LA to get her new network off the ground. No way she runs.

Besides, Mayor of a big city like New York or Chicago is a 24/7/365 job, just like being the President.

Being Senator is a sweet gig. Three day work weeks and plenty of recesses. Not the case with a Mayor.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This is nothing like the Detroit story. What do Chicago politics have to do with corruption?

8. YankeeFan

1.) I didn't necessarily mean it in those exact terms. I just meant that we were allowed to discuss Detroit politics & I hoped we could also discuss Chicago politics.

Chicago is one of the biggest cities in the country, the guy's been in office for over 20 years, and there are a lot of people on here with ties to Chicago.

It's a big story & Chicago politics should be less divisive than national politics. I hope.

2.) However, there's been a lot of corruption during Daley's term. Some of his top aides have gone to jai.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Besides the fact they invented it?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Rahm's been exposed the last two years. I laugh when I think of his former hope to be Speaker of the House.
    And good luck winning in Chicago without union support.

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

Makes sense. Her name was tossed around -- some joking, some not -- today, but you're right. And it'd be a huge step down in terms of revenue too.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Mini Ditka.

Draft saved Draft deleted