1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily Press looking for designers

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DougRoberson, May 25, 2006.

1. DougRoberson

DougRoberson Member

The Daily Press, a 92K paper in Southeastern Virginia, is trying to find a designer. There is no vacancy now, but we want to be prepared if one comes open soon.
    We are looking for someone who thinks a little bit differently about design, someone who isn't married to the traditional look of newspapers. The ideal candidate will be able to bring the visual impact of a magazine or web page to our section.
    We like to take chances with our centerpieces and special sections, so we need someone who never stops saying "What if we tried this..." because you never know when that final thought is the one that will sell the package.

Background about us:
    We cover roughly 50 high schools, Virginia Tech, Virginia, the Redskins, a few NASCAR races, an LPGA golf tournament, several local colleges, etc. We do a lot of enterprise and like to try different types of story-telling to help the reader understand the story, or the point of the story. I don't want readers to expect the same thing day after day, so we may do a photo essay one day, a double-truck graphic the next, a traditional treatment the day after that, etc.

I would like to find someone who knows photoshop, and if they have some skill as an illustrator that would be, well, that'd be cool too.

If interested, send some work samples to me at
    droberson@dailypress.com

No phone calls, please.

2. Alright, I had to chime in on this one. If you want any info about the DP, shoot me a pm. All I'll say is that everything in the ad is true. No. b.s.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think a little bit differently about design. Actually, quite a bit differently.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

FACT

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Big-boy (or girl) job. They've been doing good things on the visual side for quite a while ...

6. 30

30 Member

Anybody wonder about Doug Roberson?
    All you need to know: Straight shooter; Good guy.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

The sports section is what makes this mediocre paper a really good paper.

If they had an award for a sports section running circles around their news counterparts, they'd win it every year. No contest.

Next time they need a new editor, they should look to Doug.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Doug Roberson is very good people who has been good to me in the past. He runs a very good section and has a pretty good stable of writers and columnists at his disposal. They do great work with big event coverage. Anyone who wants to work at a good place and get better should jump at this opportunity.

(****crawls back into hiding...)

9. DougRoberson

DougRoberson Member

Bumping this back up.

So far, I haven't received any interest. I know there are many talented designers out there. Please consider us to potentially be your next home.
    The fun thing about living and working in Hampton Roads is there's plenty to do, all year long.
    Like the beach? Va. Beach is 45 minutes away.
    Like the mountains? 5 hours away.
    Like history? Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg, and a slew of Civil War battlefields.
    Like museums? We have more than we know what to do with.

True, cost of living can be high, but we put out a good product and will give you every chance to succeed and improve.

While I would prefer someone with experience, I will give recent college grads equal attention.

Send me a few .pdfs.

doug

10. DougRoberson

DougRoberson Member

bumping it back up, thanks.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Doug's good people.
    I know two people who would rock and roll there w/ some advice.
    good luck on the search.

12. No interest yot!!!???
    Are people out there nuts!!??
    This is a good paper in a good city in a GREAT area. Maybe job-begging people like me should go out and learn how to be designers.

Draft saved Draft deleted