1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily News Yankees beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigapplewriter, Nov 3, 2006.

1. With Sam Borden headed to Florida (there's another thread already on that), who will fill the Yankees job at the Daily News?

If they stay in house, who would be the candidate? Darren Everson? Roger Rubin?

Any rumors?

2. freaky styley

freaky styley Member

Won't be Darren Everson.
    He just left the Daily News to take
    a job with the Wall Street Journal.

From Ralph Vacchiano's Giants Blog:

Friday is the final day at the Daily News for Darren Everson, my successor on the New Jersey Devils beat a few years ago. He is leaving us for the Wall Street Journal, making him yet another person who will be smarter about finances than I am.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

for the most seamless transition, they should just hire the n.y. post's george king, don't you think? ??? ??? ???

4. whatgives

whatgives New Member

The last two Yankee guys have been McCarron (from Islanders beat) and Borden (from GA), so don't be surprised if it's somebody unexpected.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good for Darren Everson, a good kid in my dealings with him years ago. Not a kid anymore but that's how I remember him.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Does anybody know for sure that Sam to Fla. is a done deal?
    The NYDN still has a link to his Yankees blog (although he hasn't blogged in 10 days) and there is some talk that while he wanted off the pressure of the NYY beat and thinks his future is as a columnist, he didn't really want to leave NY and was having second thoughts about Fla.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

He confirmed it here: http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/10302006-SamBorden.html

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, awriter, I know that.
    I have heard he was having second thoughts. Just curious if anybody had more info.

9. thirsty

thirsty Member

Borden's a capable reporter but nothing special. He could become something more, but needs to experience life and various beats before he's ready to be a columnist.
    From what the guys on the Yankees beat say, he got his job at the Daily News because of family connections (he grew up in Westchester, son of old boy network), was hired to do the tv sports section, ate lunch with the right people and ended up with the Yankee beat. Correct me if I'm wrong on that timeline, but as far as I know he never worked anywhere else, or did any other beat.
    And now he's been named Jacksonville columnist? Or holding the News up for something better? Last thing they need is another white columnist with little humor and average style. I do give him props for relentlessly promoting himself. Haven't seen that kind of self-promoter since Lupica. Spnited, you seem to have fallen for Borden's MO.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Anyone who did the Yankee beat in New York has my respect. It's the worst job in sports journalism, period. Nothing's close. I spent 25 years in close proximity to scores of Yankee beat guys (and gals) and none of 'em ever looked like they were having a moment of fun.

11. I don't know.The Japanese guys on the Matsui beat seem to be having a time for themselves.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

the next story borden writes that makes me think, "columnist material" will be his first. nothing about his yankee stuff did that.

good for him, tho. it's a talent of sorts to snow people. ;D ;D ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted