1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily News: KSM Trial to be Moved out of NYC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The only reason it was moved was because of politics.

Bloomberg changed his mind when he realized what it would cost & how disruptive it would be to businesses & residents of lower Manhattan.

That wasn't enough for Obama & Holder.

Only when politics came into play did it get moved. Once the Community Board (Dems), and others came out against it and Schumer saw which way the wind was blowing, be got on the phone to save his ass.

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

As I said earlier ... at least Obama and Holder have that trait of being able to recognize when they're off course and make a change, instead of stubbornly stumbling on in the face of public disapproval. Call if "caving" if it makes you feel better.

Where do YOU think these guys should be tried?

3. YankeeFan

You're not getting it.

All of these concerns were brought to Obama & Holder's attention. They were ignored.

They do not think having the trials in NYC is/was a mistake.

They only agreed to move them because of the political concerns of NYS Dems.

Where do I think he should be tried? Gitmo. Military trial.

4. fishhack2009

Not going to happen. So move on.

Since you're not going to get your way .. elections have consequences ... where should the civilian trials take place?

5. YankeeFan

Don't be so sure. Read some of the articles about it today.

If they can't find another home for the trial, it could end up back at Gitmo. And I doubt they'll bring in a civilian jury for a trial there.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Mayor of Newburgh, New York has begged for the trial to be moved there. The city would like a new courthouse, and there's no economic activity to disrupt with the security. The security would be the economic activity.
    BTW, I am reliably informed that if the trial had been in NYC, the first defense motion would've been for a change of venue.
    It is hi-larious that nobody objected when the so-called 20th hijacker was tried, convicted and sentenced in U.S. court. But then, Big Daddy Republicans were in charge then, and all the little frightened baby Republicans weren't so scared of the Constitution. What a bunch of fraidy-cats.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In what world is Chuck Schumer concerned about his Senate seat?

8. fishhack2009

I know there are some trial balloons being sent up about resuming the military trials. We'll see how that goes in the next few weeks.

I want these guys tried properly and then fried, too, if convicted. But it has to be done the right way.

9. YankeeFan

The Mayor of Newburgh is hoping to get $200 Million a year to host the trial.

That won't happen. And once his residents learn what a pain in the ass the trial would be, they won't want it either.

In the world where a Republican is going to be sitting in Teddy Kennedy's seat.

Real Estate & Wall Street honchos were coming down on Schumer. Once that happened, Schumer rolled.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly - strange for a man who has a thought on everything that Schumer did not have anything to say when the decision was announced.

Things started to really turn when Peter King announced a bill to withhold funding for a NYC trail.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Where was McVeigh's trial? Was it Oklahoma City? I honestly forget.

12. fishhack2009

McVeigh was tried in Denver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.