1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dad sues after son kicked off track team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Oh come on, he's clearly a sprinter, not a long distance man . . .

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Is it my imagination, or are his times regressing from the good ol' days in junior high?

This could be a case you see so many times: Stud of the eighth grade is a benchwarmer by his/her senior year as other athletes mature, and parental units with visions of scholarship bucks dancing in their heads can't handle it.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

"Mawusi ran a 19:41.20 in the 5000m at Nike Cross Nationals Northeast Regional, placing 257th."

Looks to me like there are at least 256 other people this dad could sue for his son's total failure as an athlete.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

To be a state contender (in our state anyway) you gotta break 16 minutes.

Of course normally I would never make posts on a message board ripping a high school kid, but you know what?

The kid and his dad asked for it.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure the kid asked for it. Probably just can't stop the dad once he gets rolling.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

In Kenya, cross country is how everyone gets to school.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

My wife is a former DII cross country coach. If a guy contacted her wanting to join the team and said he ran a 19:41 5K, chances are she might not have even replied to the email!

8. Good for him. I broke that and I was the slowest distance runner on my team.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not sure what's worse, the inconsistency or the regression. In the span of two months, his 5K time went from 19:35 to 17:29 and then back up to 19:41.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I walked a 20-minute 5K once.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Steroids.

Most towns around here now have user fees of a few hundred bucks to play, because districts slashed funding entirely.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Not in a million fucking years. Ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted