1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dad pulls gun on 7-year old's FB coach!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 23, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Now this is truly insane

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061023/us_nm/crime_football_dc_1

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know. Flag football, sure. But if this was a tackle league, dad may have been justified. Never know when those NFL scouts are watching.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Congrats, dad. Little Billy just got all of his playing time taken away.

but what's with the headline?? Upset U.S. dad pulls gun ...

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Maybe with "football" in the headline they wanted to distinguish between it and soccer for non-American readers.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's a Reuters story...
    there's nothing wrong with the head, unless you're saying Philly isn't part of the US anymore

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Spnited,

I know the headline is accurate and maybe it was initially written for a non-American reader, but the folks at Yahoo should be able to rewrite the head for their audience which is primarily U.S. I was just using my copyediting hat for the moment, not trying to infer any anti-American sentiments with Reuters.

Seriously, though. As much as I love sports and it's what I do for a job, I read these kinds of stories and want to never sign my kids up for team sports. I'm inclined to get them involved in stuff like swimming, track, cycling or similar things but leave baseball, basketball, soccer and football off the list. Too many nutjob parents out there and I'd probably be one of them.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

My best guess Modaho is Yahoo does very little editing.

And I agree, get your kids into track and/or swimming... inidividual sports, more fun, less pressure, fewer lunatic parents

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One good thing about high school and college sports -- the more power the coaches have, the less crazy the parents are.

Even when high school coaches are being absolute pricks, parents are usually afraid to say anything to hurt little Billy's playing time.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If it's a Reuters story, doesn't it originate from England? And if that's the case, then the headline makes sense.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm sure Yahoo, Google, AOL and many others just cut and paste the suggested headline without a second thought. Probably an automated computer program, in fact.

another benefit to the individual sports is fewer injuries. They can still happen, of course, but when's the last time you heard of a kid blowing out his/her knee in the 100m butterfly?

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Times like these I'm glad my parents didn't make it out to most of my hockey games and practices.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No. The fact that you can see this means you would never be one of the crazy ones. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted