1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Dad bods'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, May 13, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm 6-3 and at any point during the last 20 years, I've weighed between 220 and 270. Usually, I'm between 240-250. I'm built like a lineman and even when I am at my heaviest, people tend to use the term "big" rather than "fat"

This is not meant as a brag or a humblebrag, because it confused me for most of my adult life, but in college and in my 20s, I would get a lot of women saying "Boy are you my type" or "I love big guys"

I wouldn't consider my build to be a "dad bod" I would say it's probably more of a "out of shape former lineman" I've been balding since I was 26 and none of it was ever an issue. This is not to say I could get any woman I wanted, that's not true at all, but I've found that, for whatever reason, there are a lot of women who like big guys. The best explanation I've ever gotten is, "I feel safe with you."

I'm not complaining. I've always felt very lucky. I just never understood it.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I've had some luck with women mostly because I'm not a dick (in real life, anyway).

Being as incredibly handsome as I am, even with 30 extra pounds, is just icing on the cake.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Probably more attractive than Seth Rogen's face on Seth Rogen's body.

Songbird likes this.
  4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Thats funny, i'm basically the opposite. A buthisface. I'm essentially invisible to women in most walks of life, but i work out a lot and am in good shape. So while at a bar i would make an excellent pick pocket or spy, give me a pair of sunglasses and set me on the beach and i do quite well talking to women.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm a big guy, so I've never heard a woman say complimentary things about my looks or physique. But I'm always being told I have great hair. Let's put it this way, if I color my hair gray, then grow a goatee and color it gray, too ... I'm basically Rob Ryan. Minus about 50 pounds. And I got a trim recently, but I only do it once a year. Rob Ryan. Actually, sounds like my next Halloween costume.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have a dad bod. Here’s why women love it. - The Washington Post

Over the last decade, I have inhabited both types of male physiques — the kind sporting six-pack abs and, more recently, the kind that looks like it should be pushing a stroller and Googling high-blood pressure medications. And yet, the latter physique has always proved more successful for me with the opposite sex. Much more.

Take, for example, a recent study from the University of Aberdeen that presented 4,800 women with pictures of men’s faces. Each picture showed a pair of faces that were largely identical, except one had more masculine features, like thicker jaw lines and stronger eyebrows. The researchers found that women from wealthier countries, such as the United States — where there were fewer threats like early mortality and disease — were less likely to prefer the manly faces than those from countries with lower GDPs. The implication? When women don’t have to worry so much about threats to their survival, they instinctually go for softer and more cuddly types.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How many dads have the freedom to go play basketball 2-3 times a week? Or go to the gym whenever they want?

Unless your wife pulls 95% of the kid duties, it ain't happening.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I have co-workers who are married with kids who go to the gym every single day after work. Both of their wives work too. For most of us, that would not fly.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You work out during lunch breaks. At my age, it's more about maintaining a semblance of health than it is to get 6-pack abs. I want to get to know and be active with my future grandkids, not be the doddering old fuck who's just in the way.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

In this area, most people work out at their office gym or at home while teleworking.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'm lucky in that the rec center is just down a block from my office. When I can get into work by 7:30, that gives me 1:30 to work out instead of an hour.

Draft saved Draft deleted