1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

d/fw morning star-telegram news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Dec 10, 2008.

1. If wonder how long until baseball travel is the exception rather than the rule at most papers, even big-city papers.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

What do you want me to say? Something about you like you made made a lousy remark?
    It's not about you or me. OK.
    I gave an opnion. You gave one. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, you tried to make it personal.
    Again, it's not about you or me.

3. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Houston uses SA's Texas A&M and Cowboys coverage, and SA uses Houston's Texans coverage. Astros, too, I think.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I don't think this is the worst thing in the world. Not going to save either much money in the long run, but combining resources isn't a bad thing in our day and age.
    Doesn't mean the papers are merging. Hell, over 90 percent of the readers in the market won't even notice the change. As egotistical as many in this industry are, the fact is the people who are reading the paper don't care if the Rangers story is written by Fraley, Grant, Thomas, or Joe Blow...as long as there is a story.

And no matter who is writing what the loyal Star-Telegram readers aren't going to go to he Norming News or vice-versa because of this. Nor will it cause anymore loss of readership than both are already experiencing.

What keeps each paper's section unique will be it's packaging and it's column and feature writers.

This in no way means that the papers are "merging" or just becoming one paper with two names.
    We just don't like it because it's just another hard reality to the fact that our jobs are becoming more and more obsolete.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

damn our self-centeredness

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't agree with this at all.

It's more than just game stories. It's notes packages and features as well.

I don't see how anyone can argue it is good when a paper the size of the Dallas Morning News isn't going to cover a professional sports team in its own backyard.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It's really a very limited sharing operation there, so far. The other difference is, Houston and SA are both owned by Hearst.

The DMN and FW S-T are supposed to be competitors. Or were.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, unless one takes the Newsday approach.

Packaging? You mean the same story in each paper but with different photos and headlines? Actually, scratch the different photos, they'll combine those resources too.

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Kind of makes you wonder how beats will be shared if Hearst buys the Austin paper.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

From what I'm hearing, that's not going to happen. But, yeah, it would be interesting.

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

So not much money is going to be saved, but it's still a good move? For whom? The bean-counters, who will say the cost-cutting move wasn't enough when another round of layoffs come up in a few months? What about the local-local coverage? Not sure how you justify to your readers than the drive from Dallas to Arlington is too big of a commitment to make for your section.

I'm sorry, but it's a scary and sad thing to think that any daily metros - especially the Dallas Morning-News - are going to content-share with a competitor in their own market. Why don't we all sing songs around the camp fire instead of actually competing to break and report news.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Few will notice the fact that someone writes a Rangers story in both papers.

What astute readers will notice is that the news is the same, that they're getting the same crap in two places.

Great way to drive off readers!

Draft saved Draft deleted