1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D-Day in Big D

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jobu, Oct 24, 2008.

1. jobu

jobu Member

The layoffs that followed the undersubscribed buyouts finally hit The Dallas Morning News this morning. Don't know how many lost their jobs in sports or the newsroom (someone on the blog says total including other parts of the paper is 42), but former high schools writer and good guy David Hinojosa was let go, as well as another unnamed sports copy editor.

http://newsbuyout2008.blogspot.com/

And, you won't believe this, but A.H. Belo chairman Robert Decherd has reportedly declined to take his bonus: Mr. Decherd will decline his bonus calculated under the company’s incentive plan. Other bonuses will largely reflect expense reduction targets.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/102508dnbusahbelo.143eb97e8.html

2. According to the blog, Sports is losing four people in all.

3. Met David a couple of times. He probably doesn't remember me, but he's a good guy.

This sucks. I used to like the DMN.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

nice to see a suit not taking the extra money as he lays people off. hope everyone lands ok.

5. Does anyone have any clues as to the identity of copy editor? My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who lost their job today. I feel your pain.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Be nice to see more do this, but that would be the right thing to do...

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that about David. Not a fun thing to log on for the day and find out. Every time I heard about a job cut there (and there have been several), I sweated it out for him.

David is a lurker here. I'll buy him a dinner at Casa Rivas next time he makes it north of 380.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

chris gove says he's cool, and that's all i need to know. peace be with you david.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Anyone know who the other three were?

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i just hope these layoffs and buyouts don't hinder the dmn in its attempts to cover the truth behind ken hamlin's stolen tires and rims.

11. So three of the four layoffs were Hinojosa, Cabarrouy and Gonzalez? Hmm ...

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sad to think that an executive can preside over a company that has to lay people off and still qualify for a bonus. But nice knowing he's going to turn it down.

Draft saved Draft deleted