1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D-Day Has Arrived At My Shop. Wish Me Luck.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 23, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My dad just got laid off after 25 years at the same place. He's 60 without a college degree, A.K.A retiring early.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I just figured it out. I can last eight months on unemployment and drawing from my checking account. After that, it's into our savings. I'm worried, but not — about both getting laid off and surviving if I do get laid off.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Best of luck man ... just gotta hope for the best

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Luck.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good luck Pete.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Best of luck, Pete. A lot of people here have your back.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Here's an oddity that only keeps people guessing.

I just received today's newsroom budget. Everyone is on it, including the lowest reporter on the seniority list. And she's scheduled to cover something at 7 p.m. tonight.

Layoffs are scheduled to come down sometime in the afternoon.

Weird.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless your shop doesn't want to play its hand. Or maybe they're just really disorganized.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unfortunately, it doesn't mean a thing.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I've often wondered -- Why wouldn't places like K-mart want people who have demonstrated work history and are obviously willing to work?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just a guess here, but probably they think you'll think such work is beneath you. And you're also, in their mind, more likely to look down on your supervisor.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because all the big boxes -- just like fast food -- operate on a high-turnover system that assures they're constantly paying the lowest possible salaries and the fewest people benefits possible.

That's how they've set it up. They don't want good workers. They want crappy workers for six months at a time.

Draft saved Draft deleted