1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D.C. Travel Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Aug 15, 2009.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

The wife and I are headed up to D.C. Labor Day weekend and are having a hard time finding a hotel that isn't going to cost us our first born.
    We're going to be there that Friday and Saturday night, and we'd prefer not to have to spend the aforementioned cost or worry about getting shot or solicited. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

2. sostartled

sostartled Member

You should stay in Virginia, maybe in the Pentagon City/Crystal City area. Safe area, right on the metro. And there are about 50 hotels in the area so I imagine prices would be ok.

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

sostartled's suggestion is a good one. also check out hotels in the rosslyn, clarendon and ballston areas of arlington -- those neighborhoods are one right after the other right along a metro line. not as many hotel options as pentagon city/crystal city but the clarendon-ballston areas have better nightlife options than pentagon city/crystal city. check out the hilton garden inn in arlington. it's in the courthouse-clarendon area, within walking distance of the courthouse metro stop, which zips you in and out of dc easily.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I stayed with friends in Haymarket, way the heck west of DC. I noticed a lot of people on the end of the Orange Line (Vienna) who were staying around there. It's not a long trip to the city on the Metro, so you might even look farther out for rooms if don't mind not staying in the city.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

They do a lot of weekend track work on metro, so I would advise against staying as far out as Vienna if you're planning to use metro a lot. The track work often adds 30 minutes to what would already been a 30 minute or so trip. The previous suggestions of checking out Arlington are good. PM me if you need any help.

6. sostartled

sostartled Member

Ohh yeah! I forgot about that. The Blue Line will be out of commission Labor Day weekend. The Yellow Line should still be running, but it's going to be slow. Funky's suggestions would put you on the orange/blue, so you should be ok.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's a Courtyard near the Franconia-Springfield Metro that goes for about 85 on weekends. Shuttle to and from Metro. A Holiday Inn Express not far from there also offers a shuttle. My guess is the other hotels there do, too. The Rosslyn/Crystal City suggestions are closer and very good but generally more expensive. Springfield is just outside the Beltway and the price difference is noticeable.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I've already PMed MU about this, but just to throw it out there:

I live in a huge apartment building in Bethesda which keeps one two-bedroom apartment as a "guest suite" for residents. That means you can stay as my guest for $100 a night. The area is very safe, close to great entertainment and dining, and the bus stops at the front door for a 5-minute ride to the Friendship Heights Metro stop (red line). It's more likely to be available on non-holiday dates, but if anyone is ever coming to town, feel free to contact me and I'll let you know if it's an option.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Some very, very good suggestions here.

I enjoy Crystal City, mostly because I enjoy the Crystal City Sports Pub. Tons and tons of hotels there, all, I'm sure, with shuttles to the Crystal City Metro station.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Crystal City Sports Pub kicks major ass. And that area is an easy Metro ride into town.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Plus, if you have enough drinks at the CCSP, you can mosey on down the block to the Crystal City Restaurant, which has plenty of, um, scenery, and where, amazingly enough, the 4 p.m. shift rivals the midnight shift. Hard to believe, I know.:)

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't know anything about that.

(Mostly because I've always had a date of some kind with me at the CCSP, and that kind of a bar hopping escapade would NOT go over well)

Draft saved Draft deleted