1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

cyd zeigler shouldn't necessarily stfu, but i should DEFINITELY be more careful

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 15, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

until he gets his facts straight. embarrassing segment on 'outside the lines' regarding gays in sports. cyd is the 'outsports' guy speaking out in defense of michael irvin's cover shot and similar topic s involving other current nfl players. also on the show was saints center or former center olechar les bentley, speaking against the david tyree-like homophobic comments by nfl players.

cyd started out by reprimanding bentley, the commending him, for several years ago publicly using a gay slur himself. flabbergasted, bentley correct cyd, telling him no such incident involving him ever occurred, advising cyd to check his facts. the segment went on with this never again being addressed.

however, cyd came off terribly overall and did his cause no favors. fact-checking should be a must, shouldn't it, when you're planning on making the kind of accusation cyd did.

i'm pretty darn sure cyd mistook lecharles bentley for ex-nba star LATRELL SPREWELL, an entirely different ther african-american athlete who allegedly used a gay slur either during a game or an interview, i forget which. guess these african-american star athletes whose names begin with 'le' or 'la' are easily confused.

an advocate in cyd's position HAS to be more careful, no?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Re: cyd zeigler should stfu...

What kind of name is Cyd?

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

gay spelling of 'sid?' [/ducking];D ;) :eek:

keed, i keed.

4. cydzeigler

cydzeigler New Member

Actually, maybe you should get your facts straight instead of just listening to one person who happens to be the person who did the deed...

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/08/10/lecharles-bentley-fires-back-at-braylon-edwards-smearing-of-cleveland-with-a-gay-joke/

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2010/08/on-lecharles-bentley-calling-braylon-edwards-gay/

http://www.steelernation.com/forums/showthread.php/6133-Lecharles-Bently-Says-Braylon-Edwards-is-Gay

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/watch-a-testy-outside-the-lines-exchange-between-a-gay-journalist-and-a-former-nfl-player/

I'll be awaiting your apology...

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Oop!

[​IMG]

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

sure hope you're not holding your breath...

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I guess I'd politely ask why not.

8. cydzeigler

cydzeigler New Member

Yeah, that's strangely confusing. You accused me of failing to meet journalistic standards then told me to "STFU." In fact, I did my research and was correct - and you didn't do your research and you were incorrect. So I'm curious why a courteous apology for smearing my name is not in order here...

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Does this guy have a google alert for himself?

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

cyd zeigler shouldn't necessarily stfu, but I should ABSOLUTELY be more careful

i apologize, cyd, and all my regular SportsJournalists.com buds. 'though i'd argue the accusation aimed at lecharles remains somewhat murky. and his record before and since on such issues has been stellar.

but, yes, it appears my initial reaction was wr-wr-wr-wr-wr-ong, as the fonz would say. and i do stand by my overall reaction to cyd on 'ootside the lines' as weak and doing little for the cause, which is a righteous one.

hope this returns me to everyone's good graces... or whatever graces i might've been occupied until this unfortunate episode.

11. cydzeigler

cydzeigler New Member

No worries. Everybody makes mistakes. I appreciate it! I saw this on Twitter which is how I found it. I may pop up in other discussions too to say hi. Seems like a cool forum!

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I just watched the clip and read the links ... none of them say LeCharles Bentley used a slur. He said “Nothing that comes out of his mouth or goes into (it) surprises me."
    If people are seriously complaining about that, there's no hope.

Draft saved Draft deleted